Foundation / Corporation
Echoing Green and Open Society
01/09/12 12:00 PM EST - Phase 1 of application; Phase 2: Semifinalists announced early February 2012. Expanded application due late February 2012.
Grants of $70,000 are available to black men nationwide for projects that improve the quality of life for black males. Funding will be provided for innovative social entrepreneurship projects in several areas of interest including: education, family, employment, education, and leadership. In order to ensure the success of the funded ventures, grantees will also receive technical assistance over 18 months to help the new leaders launch and build their organizations; access to technical support and pro bono partnerships; and a community of like-minded social entrepreneurs and public service leaders.
• Purpose / Passion – Applicant exhibits strong passion and commitment for the program, as well as personal integrity
• Resilience – Applicant has demonstrated ability to overcome obstacles
• Leadership – Applicant has demonstrated leadership potential
• Ability to Attract Resources – Applicant is capable of attracting money, people and other resources
• Innovation – Organization is innovative and demonstrates new approach
• Importance – Organization addresses serious social problem
• Potential for Big, Bold Impact – Organization has clear potential for tangible impact to the beneficiary population and either has potential for effecting systemic change (e.g., policy change, societal change, influence in their field) and/or demonstrates potential for replication and growth
• A Good Business Model – Organization has clear and compelling mission and objectives, and has given real thought to program development and delivery, ways to measure success, raising money, and other key factors indicating potential for sustainability.
Additionally, the strength of the partnership and the commitment of both individuals to the organization are evaluated for applicants applying as a partnership.
GrantWatch ID#: 126850
Up to 8
A stipend of $70,000 • A health insurance stipend • A professional development stipend
18 months beginning July 1, 2012
* Must be based in the U.S. and have legal status to work
* Must be 18 years of age or older
* Must have sufficient English fluency to participate in interviews and events
* Must make a full-time commitment (minimum 35 hours per week) to the organization's development for the duration of the two-year fellowship.
Partnerships may apply if both partners meet all eligibility requirements
* May be for-profit or non-profit
* Must be in a start-up phase: The organization may have been in operation for up to two years and the Fellowship's financial support should qualify it as a significant early funder.
* Must be independent and autonomous. Generally, organizations with fiscal sponsors are still considered autonomous.
Frequently asked questions: http://www.echoinggreen.org/fellowship/faq
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming