Foundation / Corporation
02/03/12 11:59 PM GMT
Grants are available internationally for both individuals and groups for projects that strengthen the ability of underrepresented communities to make use of digital media tools. The goal of the funding is to provide support to groups that do not have access to larger funding opportunities and enable them to become more proficient in the use of modern day media resources.
Rising Voices seeks project proposals that bring voices from new communities, as well as underrepresented language groups to the online global conversation through the use of participatory citizen media. The project's primary activities should be to provide citizen media training workshops to the target community, as well vital ongoing support and mentoring.
Examples of potential projects may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Organizing a citizen media “boot camp” with experienced local bloggers to train and mentor participants from underrepresented communities that will result in a local network of support.
* Working with an indigenous community to teach and encourage new generations to begin to use Twitter to connect with others as a way to preserve and promote their native language online.
* Partnering with a local library with a computer lab to invite community members to discuss local problems and solutions, and train them how to create a group blog to take these conversations to the wider community.
* Organizing a series of digital photography group walks where residents can document life in their community together and create an online Flickr photography exhibit.
* Teaching local residents to record and edit audio recordings on Audacity for a community podcast that can be uploaded online, as well as distributed to local radio stations for a wider reach.
GrantWatch ID#: 127289
Open to private individuals, groups, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Selected projects must have access to a bank account that is able to receive international bank transfers.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.