Foundation / Corporation
Prevent Cancer Foundation
03/25/19 5:00 PM Eastern Time
Grants of $25,000 to USA and territories nonprofit organizations and government agencies located outside of the Washington DC metro area to promote early cancer detection, screening, prevention education, and vaccination. Funding is intended to support the development and implementation of both new and currently existing community programs and projects, particularly among disadvantaged populations.
Projects focused on sun safety and skin cancer are encouraged to apply.
Examples of allowable expenses are apportioned salaries, small incentives for participants, supplies or expenses related to cancer screening or early detection and expenses related to barriers to screening (for example, transportation vouchers to clinic). Budget expenses for the use of cancer imaging equipment, such as for 100 diagnostic mammograms, are allowable.
GrantWatch ID#: 133776
The Foundation expects to fund up to 10 awards.
The Foundation expects to fund $25,000 awards.
The Foundation expects to fund one-year grants. Project Start and End Dates: August 1, 2019 (Start Date); July 31, 2020 (End Date)
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- Nonprofit organizations that are exempt under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code
- Independent sponsored projects of a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization acting as a fiscal sponsor
- Government and public agencies
- Tax-exempt tribal organizations and fraternal or social organizations
- Organizations based in the United States, including U.S. territories. Groups located outside the U.S. are not eligible to apply.
- Organizations described above must be located outside the Washington, DC, metro area to be eligible.
- Both small independent organizations and ones which are part of larger “parent” organizations are eligible to apply.
Projects located in the state of Florida are encouraged to apply.
While the Foundation does not fund equipment it considers to be indirect costs, projects which require specialized equipment may include it in their plans; however, such expenses must be explained and well-justified. Using grant funds to cover equipment such as computers or software is generally considered an indirect cost and not allowable.
- Projects that are not aligned with the mission of the Prevent Cancer Foundation and the purpose of the Community Grants program
- Projects of organizations not based in the United States or of U.S. organizations located in the D.C. metro area
- Projects of for-profit organizations
- Projects focused on treatment and survivorship
- Screening projects which do not comply with current screening guidelines from groups such as the USPSTF or the American Cancer Society
- Projects that promote breast self-exam; we do support programs promoting breast selfawareness and ‘knowing your body’
- Projects that include the construction of buildings or purchase of land
- Application Due Date: March 25, 2019, 5:00 PM Eastern Time
- Notification of Award Decision: July 8, 2019
- Project Start and End Dates*: August 1, 2019 (Start Date) and July 31, 2020 (End Date)
- First Grant Payment: August 1, 2019
- Progress Report Due Date: February 17, 2020
- Second Grant Payment: March 2, 2020
- Grant Period End: July 31, 2020
- Final Report Due: September 1, 2020
*Note: The Foundation reserves the right to alter the project dates as necessary.
Only one application may be submitted by an organization. Organizations previously funded by the Prevent Cancer Foundation and in good standing may apply for new funding in a new cycle.
Projects focused on breast health education for young women should include use of the Foundation’s Breast Health Education for Young Women Facilitator’s Guide (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrHWvhLsPLA).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: https://proposalcentral.altum.com/
For questions, contact:
Erica Childs Warner, MPH
Senior Director, Evaluation & Outreach
For assistance with technical issues, please contact:
1-800-875-2562 or 703-964-5840
Prevent Cancer Foundation
1600 Duke Street, Suite 500
Alexandria, VA 22314
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)