Foundation / Corporation
The Riordan Foundation
Grants of up to $1,000 to Los Angeles County, California PreK-5 teachers to purchase books for classroom libraries. Teachers create a wish list of titles and, if awarded, books must be made available for students to take home and share with their families, often benefiting younger siblings who also have limited access to reading material.
GrantWatch ID#: 137115
Up to $1,000
Only Pre K-5 teachers within Los Angeles County may apply.
At least 50% of students at the school must qualify for free or reduced lunch.
Applicant must not have received a Recreational Reading Mini-Grant in 2016-17.
Rules and Regulations:
- At least 50 of the requested books must be hardcover. Only 20% of books may be non-English.
- Books must be housed in classrooms, not school libraries.
- Acquired books are not the property of the applicant teacher and must remain within the grade level of the classroom for which they were originally purchased, even if the initial teacher moves grades and/or schools.
- Students must be free to borrow books to take home, though an official lending system is not required.
- Funds are for recreational reading material ONLY, booklists that apply for textbooks and/or books that will be used as part of a formal reading curriculum (such as class sets) will be disqualified.
- No class sets. No more than 5 books of the same title may be requested on the booklist.
- Although all applications will be considered, a maximum of three teachers will be selected from any school that applies.
The 2017-18 Recreational Reading Mini-Grant application will open on September 29, 2017. Submissions will be due November 17, 2017. Awards will be announced on January 12, 2018.
You will receive a confirmation email once you have submitted the application form. Please do not call the office to inquire about the status of your application.
Books will be shipped to teachers at winning schools within six weeks of the date of award notification.
RRMG Eligibility and Application Information:
How to Choose a Bookseller:
Booklist Instructions Video:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
The Riordan Foundation
PO Box 491190
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Phone: (310) 472-2020
Fax: (310) 472-1414
USA: California: Los Angeles County