Foundation / Corporation
San Juan County
08/03/18 4:30 PM
Grants to San Juan County, Washington nonprofit organizations and municipalities to attract tourism to the County throughout the year. Funding is intended to improve long-term economic activity in the County through investment in tourism-related facilities and activities.
The purpose of this posting is to seek proposals from qualified entities interested in:
1) Funding single project proposals concerned with acquiring, improving or developing County facilities for enhancing the tourism experience; and/or
2) Funding the operation and promotion of tourism facilities that enhance the tourism experience; and/or
3) One-time grants to establish or enhance events that draw tourists; and/or
4) Projects that carry out the tourism-related goals of the adopted San Juan County LTAC Master plan.
Applicants will be asked to estimate how many individuals their project or operation will attract from more than 50 miles away and stay in paid lodging.
Program categories are:
- Tourism facilities capital expenditures (County owned or operated facilities only): Construction, Improvement, Renovation
- Grants for Tourism Events and Festivals designed to attract tourists
- Grants for operation of existing eligible tourism facilities that meet the criteria of the RFP and the long-range tourism plan (including, but not limited to historic museums, performing arts, visual arts)
- Special Investments that help to accomplish the goals and objectives of the LTAC Master Plan
2019 LTAC priorities for tourism development:
- Arts: Assist arts festivals and events to get underway with funding, and encouraging partnerships with existing facilities.
- Fairgrounds: Support efforts to enhance and use the fairgrounds and its facilities for visitor related activities beyond the fair itself.
- Parks: LTAC considers County Parks critical and necessary to the tourist industry and to the County’s economy. It will actively support efforts to provide an alternative, sustainable funding system for the County’s parks.
- Place-based food: Support food related markets, festivals and events; support facilities and programs to expose visitors to locally grown and/or prepared food, wine and other beverages.
- Restrooms: Assisting in the development of a “comfort station” plan with standards, identification of existing restrooms available to the public, indications of where more restrooms are needed and a strategy for financing them.
- Museums and theaters: Encouraging partnerships with sponsors of other local activities and events to provide income and help communities take full advantage of their facilities.
- Seasonal tourism industry employee housing
- Signage: Encourage the creation and installation of “welcome” and directional signs identifying communities and attractions. Signs should reflect the County’s unique culture and draw on the talent of its community of artists. (Proposals must comply with San Juan County Code).
- Transportation: Encourage development of transportation options for visitors.
- Wildlife and environment: LTAC will support projects to provide visitors with non-intrusive opportunities to enjoying the County’s abundant land, air and marine wildlife and environment – including such things as birding, nature hikes and marine activities.
GrantWatch ID#: 138127
In recent years, first time grants have generally ranged from $1,000 to $12,000.
Grant funds may be awarded to Municipalities (the County), nonprofit organizations described under U.S.C. Sec. 501 (c)(3) and 501(c)(4), and visitors bureaus or destination marketing organizations for the following purposes:
1) Supporting marketing and operations of special events and festivals designed to attract tourists.
2) Supporting the operations and capital expenditures of tourism-related facilities owned or operated by San Juan County.
3) Supporting the operations of tourism-related facilities owned or operated by qualifying (see above) nonprofit organizations.
The Lodging Tax Advisory Committee will hold a pre-application meeting on *Monday, July 9, 2018* at 2:15 PM in order to answer questions, provide guidance and to assist applicants in the process. If you plan to attend this meeting, please RSVP by July 6, 2018.
*Please note: Date has been changed. Please contact the Funding Source for more information.
- Proposals due: August 3, 2018, by 4:30 PM
- Review of applications/presentation: August 29, 2018 (tentative - applicants will be contacted to schedule appearance)
- Final LTAC funding recommendations to County Council: approximately September 18, 2018
- Council deliberations: Anticipated September 25, 2018
Generally, funds awarded primarily for year-round operating expenses will be dispersed quarterly without a requirement for presenting invoices. For all other grants, reimbursements will be made to the applicant within approximately 30 days of submittal of invoices.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email deliveries of application:
Hand deliveries of application:
San Juan County Council Office
55 Second Street 1st Floor
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Mail deliveries of application:
San Juan County
Lodging Tax Promotion Proposals
350 Court Street #1
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
USA: Washington: San Juan County