Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)
04/30/21 4:00 PM
Grants to Maryland nonprofits, for-profits, government agencies, and IHEs for the construction, maintenance, or renovation of boating tie-up facilities and accessories. Funding is intended for facilities that are open to the public and that serve transient (defined as a period of 15 days or less) recreational boats that are at least 26 feet in length. Because BIG-funded facilities accommodate larger vessels, the proposed project area typically must have a minimum of 6 feet of water depth (mlw). The purpose of the program is to enable the owners of large recreational vessels to visit popular boating destinations that they might not otherwise have access to.
Two levels of funding are available: “BIG Tier 1 – State” and “BIG Tier 2 – National”:
The following actions are eligible for BIG funding if they are for eligible users or eligible vessels:
(1) Construct, renovate, or maintain publicly or privately owned boating infrastructure following the requirements at § 86.13. This may include limited repair or restoration of roads, parking lots, walkways, and other surface areas damaged as a direct result of BIG-funded construction.
(2) Conduct actions necessary to construct boating infrastructure.
(3) Dredging a channel, boat basin, or other boat passage following requirements.
(4) Install navigational aids to give transient vessels safe passage between a facility and navigable channels or open water.
(5) Produce information and education materials specific to BIG or a BIG-funded project and that credit BIG as a source of funding when appropriate.
(6) Record the Federal interest in the real property.
(7) Use BIG Tier 1—State grant awards to administer BIG Tier 1—State and BIG Tier 2—National grants, or grant programs, Statewide.
For additional information about eligible activities, see the Rules document in Pre-Application Information, below.
Applicants may seek funding for installing pumpout facilities through the Clean Vessel Act Grant Program (CVA) instead of including the cost as part of a BIG grant application. Other actions may qualify for BIG funding, subject to approval, if they achieve the purposes of BIG.
For eligible project components, see: http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Documents/AppendixA-App-for-Grant-Funding.pdf#page=2
For Key BIG Sub-grantee Requirements, see: http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Documents/BIGProgramManual.pdf#page=3
GrantWatch ID#: 138503
- BIG Tier 1: State grants provide up to $200,000 federal funds.
- BIG Tier 2 - National grants provide up to $1.5 million in federal funds per project.
- The Fund must obligate a grant within 3 Federal fiscal years of the beginning of the Federal fiscal award year.
- The Fund will work with applicants to set a start date within the 3-year period of obligation. They assign a period of performance that is no longer than 3 years from the grant start date.
- Applicants must complete projects within the period of performance unless they ask for and receive a grant extension.
- Extensions may be approved up to two years.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications to:
Li Lan Carson, Federal Projects Lead
Chesapeake and Coastal Service, Department of Natural Resources
Tawes Office Building, E-4
580 Taylor Avenue
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
Grants to USA government agencies, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, faith-based and community organizations, and tribal governments for activities to reduce violent crime in local neighborhoods. Interested applicants are advised that required registra
Fundraising opportunity for USA, Canada, and International nonprofit organizations to host a jazz concert held in honor of their organization or cause. Applicants must contact the funding source prior to applying. In addition to funds raised through concert ticket sales
Grants to USA nonprofit organizations to reduce social inequality and promote solutions to the climate crisis. Eligible programs will address the areas of racial and economic justice, corporate and political accountability; voice, creativity, and culture; and an inclusi
Grants to USA nonprofit organizations and eligible agencies to increase organizational capacity to improve housing practices. Applicants are advised that required registrations may take several weeks to complete. Funding is intended to strengthen organizational capacity
Grants to USA and Canada nonprofit charitable organizations to impact public policy in a variety of national and international issues. In previous years, grants have been awarded for general operations and project support to think tanks, national councils, judicial orga
Grants to USA nonprofit organizations to protect natural resources on land and water in locations around the world. Funding is intended to ensure that activities to acquire metals, gemstones, and corals for design use do not have an adverse impact on the area of origin.
Grants to USA community-based nonprofit organizations to facilitate workplace readiness for women. Applicants are advised that required registrations may take up to four weeks to complete. Eligible programs are those that prepare women to work in fields in which women a
Grants of up to $3,000 to USA and Canada nonprofit organizations for projects to protect wildlife and natural habitats. Funding is intended for campaigns to save specific species and ecosystems. Eligible activities include public policy work, litigation, advocacy, and d
Grants to USA and territories nonprofit organizations, for-profits, and non-federal agencies to promote the adoption and development of innovative approaches to conservation in agriculture. Applicants are advised that required registrations may take several weeks to com
Grants to USA and territories nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and Tribal organizations and governments for environmental stewardship programs that benefit underserved communities. Applicants are advised that required registrations may take several weeks to