City of Miami Beach Arts and Culture, Cultural Arts Council
02/22/19 4:00 PM EST
Grants to Miami Beach, Florida nonprofits and cultural departments of IHEs for operational expenses associated with cultural and artistic programming. Applicants must submit an LOI before applying. Eligible programs should significantly contribute to cultural life in Miami Beach.
Cultural Anchor organizations include ArtCenter/South Florida, The Bass Museum of Art, the Jewish Museum of Florida, Miami City Ballet, Miami Design Preservation League, Miami New Drama, New World Symphony, Miami Beach Urban Studios (MBUS-FIU), the Wolfsonian – FIU, the Holocaust Memorial Committee, Miami Beach Cinematheque (Miami Beach Film Society), Miami Beach Garden Conservancy (Miami Beach Botanical Garden), Miami Dade Public Library, O Cinema, and The Rhythm Foundation.
Allowable Grant Expenditures:
General Operating including:
- Artistic and technical fees
- Administrative salaries or fees
- Production costs
- Equipment rental and expendable materials
- Equipment rental and personnel necessary to provide program accessibility as mandated by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
GrantWatch ID#: 139190
Maximum Request Amounts
- $25,000 for Anchors with annual organizational budgets below $750,000
- $30,000 for Anchors with annual organizational budgets between $750,000 and 3.5M
- $35,000 for Anchors with annual organizational budgets at or above $3.5M
Projects must occur between October 1st, 2019 - September 30th, 2020.
Only nonprofit cultural organizations with a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status or cultural departments within an institution of higher learning (college or university) with tax-exempt status under other subsections of 501(c)(3) are eligible.
Organizations applying through a “fiscal agent” are not eligible.
Organizations which received prior year Cultural Affairs grant funding and which did not comply with the Grant Agreement and/or other requirements pursuant to same are ineligible to apply. Additionally, organizations which received funding from the Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority (VCA) during the same fiscal year are not eligible to apply.
Grant Use Restrictions (grant funds may not be used towards):
- Projects that are primarily recreational, political, therapeutic, vocational, rehabilitative, or intended solely for practitioners of a specific religion.
- Remuneration of City of Miami Beach employees for any services rendered as part of a project receiving a grant from Cultural Affairs grants programs
- "Bricks and mortar" or permanent equipment; unless the purchase price is less than the cost of rental.
- City of Miami Beach services (City permit fees, off-duty police, insurance, electrician, etc.)
- Debt reduction
- Travel or transportation outside the local Miami-Dade County area and not directly related to Miami Beach based cultural activities
- Social/Fundraising events, beauty pageants or sporting events
- Hospitality costs including decorations or affiliate personnel with the exception of artists
- Cash prizes
- Lobbying or propaganda materials
- Charitable contributions
- Events not open to the public; unless the event serves to specifically benefit City of Miami Beach government
Application Submission Deadlines
- Guidelines + Intent to Apply Available: Tuesday, January 15, 4:00 PM EST
- Intent to Apply Deadline: Tuesday, January 29, 4:00 PM EST
- Full Application Available: Friday, February 1, 4:00 PM EST
- Full Application Deadline 1: Friday, February 22, 4:00 PM EST
- Staff Review and Response Period: Monday, February 25 - Friday, March 1
- Full Application Corrections Deadline: Friday, March 8, 2019, 4:00 PM EST
- Cultural Affairs Council Panel Meetings: April 11, 2019
- City Commission Budget Meeting: End of September 2019
- Annual Grantee Workshop (Required): End of September 2019
Initial Consultations with Applicants (Optional for Anchors):
Applicant eligibility and appropriate grant program will be determined during the consultation. Appointments are scheduled on a “first come first serve” basis and must be scheduled at least one week in advance. It is in the best interest of the applicant to schedule this appointment as early as possible in the event that a second consultation review is necessary.
Applicants are required to furnish a minimum $1 to $1 funding match (in cash, in-kind, or a combination of both). Please note that in-kind contributions may not exceed 25% of the total organizational budget and total cash project budget.
All organizations must be registered as Lobbyists with the City of Miami Beach City Clerk’s office prior to presenting to the Grant Panelists. Nonprofit organizations are exempt from paying the fee but must still register. For more information, see the following link.
For further information:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and Apply Online:
Catherine Houlihan, Grants and Operations Administrator
305-673-7577 ext. 6374
Brandi Reddick, Cultural Affairs Program Manager
305-673-7577 ext. 6256
Tourism, Culture and Economic Development
1755 Meridian Ave, Suite 500, 5th Floor
Miami Beach, FL 33139
USA: Florida: City of Miami Beach