Foundation / Corporation
Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO)
Grants to Colorado nonprofit land conservation organizations and government agencies to improve and restore rivers, streams, wetlands, and their habitats. Applicants must discuss their project with program staff prior to applying. Eligible projects are those that take place on public open space or conserved property.
- Professional services such as consultant or contracted services, youth corps crews, etc.
- Staff time when applicant can demonstrate that existing staff is the most effective and strategic way of managing the project, and that staff can still fulfill other existing duties
- Equipment operation and/or rental
-Travel expenses related to project
- Costs that relate directly to the project, such as surveys, engineering, design, GIS/mapping, monitoring and evaluation services, etc.
GrantWatch ID#: 140537
GOCO intends to fund several high-quality projects throughout the state and a wide variety of project types.
GOCO recommends limiting your request to $100,000 but will entertain requests exceeding that amount.
You must complete your project and submit a final report within 24 months of the grant award date.
This program is open to all entities eligible to receive GOCO open space funds:
a) Colorado municipality or county
b) Political subdivision of the State of Colorado that includes in its mission the identification, acquisition, or management of open space and natural areas
c) Non-profit land conservation organization (land trust or 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that includes in its mission the identification, acquisition, or management of open space and natural areas)
d) Colorado Parks and Wildlife
a) The project’s primary objective must consist of enhancing or restoring habitat.
b) The project must occur on land owned by a: 1) municipality, county, or other political subdivision of the state and the land is managed as a protected open space or park or 2) land trust or other private party and the land is permanently protected by a conservation easement or other permanent use restriction.
c) All work must comply with any conservation easement or other use restriction concerning management of the property’s natural resources.
d) Ineligible projects include but are not limited to:
i. Projects focused on recreational amenities including trails along rivers and streams and instream recreational features
ii. Projects on private property that is not protected with a conservation easement or similar use restriction
iii. Projects that solely involve planning or monitoring
- Fundraising costs
- Staff time on projects outside of the scope of the application
- Purchase of property interests
- Any costs incurred prior to the grant award date with the exception of limited engineering and design costs.
Please review the Application Instructions in Supporting Documents below for specific cost and match requirements.
GOCO will fund up to 75% of the proposed project’s eligible costs. A minimum of a 25% match from other sources is required, and at least 12.5% must be cash. Please review the Application Instructions in Supporting Documents below for all match requirements.
- June 11, 2018: Application available by request.
- August 1, 2018: Draft applications due to Chris Yuan-Farrell (optional).
- August 31, 2018: Applications due via online portal.
- December 6, 2018: Grants awarded at the GOCO Board Meeting in Sheridan.
Applications are available upon request. Please review our application instructions and contact the Open Space Program Coordinator Chris Yuan-Farrell to discuss your project before submitting an application.
You may submit a draft application for our review up to two weeks prior to the application deadline. Submitting a draft does not guarantee that your project will receive funding.
Applicant resources: http://www.goco.org/grants/applicant-resources
How to apply: http://www.goco.org/grants/apply
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Chris Yuan-Farrell, Open Space Program Coordinator
Online portal: https://goco.foundationconnect.org/grantsmanager/Pages/V3/Portal/login/login.aspx?OrgID=00Do0000000Y65x&lang=en