City of Santa Monica
03/29/18 5:30 PM PST
Grants of up to $4,000 to Santa Monica, California neighborhood organizations for efforts to improve communication, recruitment, and retaining members. Eligible activities include publicizing events, distributing information via mail and electronic media, and developing a membership database.
The funds can be used for a combination of projects and activities supporting communication and membership building. Creativity is encouraged.
A wide range of projects and activities may be eligible for funding, such as:
- Publishing and distributing a newsletter or meeting announcements.
- Purchasing ads announcing meetings and events.
- Hiring a student intern to coordinate mailings.
- Purchasing a computer for use in preparing written materials or maintaining a website so long as computer is used consistent with the terms of the grant, including the restrictions on the use of funds.
- Installing/maintaining a phone/fax/Internet connection dedicated to organization business.
- Implementing or participating in an event aimed at improving communication and increasing membership.
- Conducting a neighborhood interest survey.
- Developing an organization database.
- Participating in workshops or training programs to help the organization’s leadership develop community organizing and outreach skills and strategies.
GrantWatch ID#: 141658
The City of Santa Monica is accepting proposals for up to $4,000 in funding.
City funds may only be used for expenses incurred between July 1, 2017, and June 15, 2018.
In order to be considered for funding, applicants must meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:
- Represent a commonly recognized neighborhood within Santa Monica;
- Possess current tax-exempt status as a nonprofit organization under Section 501(c)(3) or Section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Service Code (http://www.irs.gov) or Section 23701(d) or 23701(f) of the California State Franchise Tax Code (http://www.ftb.ca.gov);
- Have an active board of directors or officers, selected in accordance with association bylaws, who meet regularly, with meetings open to the public;
- Hold at least one general membership meeting annually;
- Maintain a membership list of at least 50 active members (residing at separate addresses) or 10 percent of eligible households within the neighborhood boundaries as defined in the bylaws, whichever is less.
As long as an organization uses the funds for the purpose(s) stated in the application, only the following restrictions shall apply:
- No City funds shall be used by the participating neighborhood organizations for projects or activities involving political campaigns, candidate endorsements, or ballot measures.
- No City funds shall be paid to individual organization members, their relatives or business associates, except as a reimbursement for a product or service purchased with personal funds.
Example of eligible grant expense: The secretary of the organization uses a personal credit card to pay for copies and is reimbursed from the organization.
Example of ineligible grant expense: The secretary of the organization is a graphic designer and is paid for design services provided to the organization.
Complete and submit the application and required attachments no later than 5:30 p.m. PST on March 29, 2018.
- Issued June 8, 2017
- Covers Expenses Incurred July 1, 2017 – June 15, 2018
- Application Deadline March 29, 2018
- Mid-Cycle Report Deadline January 22, 2018
- Final Close-Out Report Deadline June 28, 2018
Neighborhood groups must provide a 50% match to the grant funds with cash or in-kind services.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit one the application form and attachments to the City Manager's Office:
City of Santa Monica
Attention: Neighborhood Organization Liaison
1685 Main Street, Room 209
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Questions about the neighborhood grant program may be directed to Office of Communications, Attention: Neighborhood Organization Liaison at (310) 458- 8257 or email@example.com
USA: California: City of Santa Monica