Kansas Office of Attorney General (OAG) Derek Schmidt - Victim Services Division
05/22/19 5:00 PM Delivery or Postmarked by Date
Grants to Kansas nonprofit organizations and government agencies for law enforcement and victims services to address human trafficking and exploitation of children. The purpose of this fund is to support human trafficking prevention training for law enforcement agencies, as well as treatment, care, and other victims services.
Through the Grant Program, the Victims Services Division seeks to ensure that Kansas crime victims 1) are aware of their rights, 2) have their rights protected, 3) are aware of the services available to them, and 4) have access to quality services.
Activities may include, but are not limited to, twenty-four hour crisis intervention and support or emergency services; counseling; assistance with compensation claims, medical advocacy, immigration advocacy and associated fees, civil court advocacy (for example, assistance with divorce decrees from originating country), creditors, community referrals and restitution, with the exception that no direct compensation may be paid to a crime victim; prosecutor or court related services; shelter support counseling, social services support and criminal justice advocacy.
HTVAF grant projects should not be viewed as an entitlement project, but, rather, short-term support for new or expanded innovative grant project activities.
GrantWatch ID#: 142108
No maximum or minimum dollar amount has been established for individual grant awards.
Each project funded under this grant shall be for a period of 12 months from 7/1/2019 to 6/30/2020.
Available funds may be awarded to units of state or local government, public or private not-for-profit organizations for defined grant project activities. Private, not-for-profit organizations, duly registered with the Office of the Secretary of State, may receive funds under this act as subgrantees or subcontractors to a local entity of government or may receive funds as a direct applicant.
In order for a not-for-profit organization to qualify for funding, it must:
1. Meet the requirements of section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
2. Be registered and in good standing as a not-for-profit corporation.
3. Meet normally accepted standards for not-for-profit organizations.
4. Have trustees or board of directors who represent the racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the county or counties served.
5. Have received fifty (50) percent or more of their agency budget from sources other than funds distributed through this fund. Other sources may be public or private, and may include contributions of goods or services, including materials, commodities, transportation, office space, or other types of facilities or personal services.
6. Demonstrate the ability to successfully administer programs that meet the criteria defined in this document.
7. Make available an independent certified audit of the previous year’s financial records.
8. Have obtained appropriate licensing or certification, or both.
9. Serve a significant number of residents of the county or counties served.
10. Not duplicate services already adequately provided to county residents.
11. Agree to comply with reporting requirements.
“Human trafficking" and "commercial sexual exploitation of a child" means abuse as defined by K.S.A. 2012 Supp. 21-5426, and amendments thereto.
Limitations of Fund Use: https://ag.ks.gov/docs/default-source/forms/victims-grants/3-2020-htvaf-grant-application-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=b7d7da1a_8#page=6
Each grant proposal must be submitted to the Office of the Attorney General postmarked no later than 5/22/2019. If submitted in person, the application must be delivered to the address below by 5:00 PM on 5/22/2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Kathy Holm, Grant Monitor
Office of Attorney General Derek Schmidt
Attn: Kathy Holm
Human Trafficking Victim Assistance Fund
120 SW 10th Avenue, 2nd Floor
Topeka, Kansas 66612-1597