Pennsylvania (PA) Department of Community and Economic Development
Grants to Pennsylvania local governments, local government agencies, nonprofit organizations, IHEs, watershed organizations, and for-profit businesses to mitigate flood risks throughout the State. Funding from this program may be used for any of the following eligible costs:
1. Acquisition of land, rights-of-way, and easements necessary to construct an eligible project.
2. Engineering studies required for levee certification and Hydrologic Engineering Center’s River Analysis System (HEC-RAS) studies.
3. Construction, improvement, expansion, repair, or rehabilitation of flood control projects. Construction contingencies are limited to 5% of the actual construction costs.
4. Debris removal
5. Installation of security measures.
6. Construction engineering costs/inspections costs. Maximum of 10% of the grant award.
7. Permit fees
8. Costs to secure appropriate bonds and insurance.
9. Administrative costs of the applicant necessary to administer the grant. Administrative costs will include advertising, legal, and audit costs as well as documented staff expenses. Administrative costs shall not exceed 2% of the grant.
GrantWatch ID#: 142695
Grants shall not exceed $500,000 for any project.
Any of the following entities may apply for a grant under the Flood Mitigation Program (FMP):
1. Municipality: Any county, city, borough, incorporated town, township or home rule municipality.
2. Councils of Governments: An entity organized by units of local government under an intergovernmental agreement, which provides cooperative planning, coordination and technical assistance to its member governments on issues of mutual concern that cross jurisdictional lines, and which does not act under the direction and control of any single member government.
3. Authorized Organization: An entity involved in research, restoration, rehabilitation, planning, acquisition, development, education or other activities, which furthers the protection, enhancement, conservation, preservation or enjoyment of this commonwealth's environmental, conservation, recreation or similar resources. The organization must be a tax-exempt institution under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (Public Law 99-514, 26 U.S.C. § 501(c) (3)) and registered with the Bureau of Charitable Organizations or an educational institution involved in these authorized activities or a municipal authority.
4. Institution of Higher Education: An entity that is an accredited university, college, seminary college, community college or two-year college.
5. Watershed Organization: An entity recognized by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources or the Department of Environmental Protection that was established to promote local watershed conservation efforts in an identified watershed.
6. For-Profit Businesses: other than “producers” of natural gas as defined in Act 13.
Ineligible costs include but are not limited to public relations, outreach, communications, lobbying, litigation, fees for securing other financing, interest on borrowed funds, application preparation fees and other costs incurred prior to the approval of grant funds.
A 15% match of the total project cost is required. Please note that grants will only be awarded for projects that have a total cost of $50,000 or more.
Applications will be accepted between February 1st and May 31st of each year. All applications and required supplemental information must be received by May 31st.
All recipients of construction funding under this grant are required to demonstrate that the project has secured any necessary planning and permit approvals for the project from the federal, state, and local governments prior to disbursement of grant funds.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Program inquiries should be directed to:
PA Department of Community and Economic Development
Office of Business Financing – CFA Programs
Division Flood Mitigation Program
Commonwealth Keystone Building
400 North Street, 4th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17120-0225
P: (717) 787-6245
F (717) 772-3581