Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development
Grants to Pennsylvania nonprofits, for-profits, IHEs, watershed organizations, and government agencies to plug abandoned and orphan gas and oil wells throughout the state. This granting program seeks to support the clearing and plugging of well sites that have the potential to cause safety, environmental, or health concerns.
Eligible projects include the cleaning out and plugging of abandoned and orphan oil and gas wells; stray gas mitigation systems; and well venting projects.
Funds may be used by the applicant to pay for any of the following project costs:
1. Construction of a stray gas mitigation system (which typically includes a methane vent stack and/or ventilation system); replugging improperly plugged and abandoned pre-Act wells; cleaning out and plugging abandoned oil and gas wells. Construction contingencies are limited to 5% of actual construction costs.
2. Site preparation and site restoration costs.
3. Plugging rig mobilization and demobilization costs.
4. Installation of security measures, if needed.
5. Engineering/inspection costs. Maximum of 10% of the grant award.
6. Permit fees.
7. Costs to secure appropriate bonds and insurance.
8. Administrative costs of the applicant necessary to administer the grant. Administrative costs will include advertising, legal, and audit costs as well as documented staff expenses. Administrative costs shall not exceed 2% of the grant.
An eligible applicant shall provide easements and rights-of-way, and landowner commitments to allow project access, relocation of buildings and utilities, reclamation of access roads, erosion and sedimentation controls, revegetation at the project site and access.
GrantWatch ID#: 142699
Grants shall not exceed a total of $250,000 for any project.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For technical inquiries regarding the submission of the online application, contact the Customer Service Center at (800) 379-7448 or (717) 787-3405.
Hard copies should be mailed to:
PA Department of Community and Economic Development
Office of Business Financing – CFA Programs Division
Orphan or Abandoned Well Plugging Program
Commonwealth Keystone Building
400 North Street, 4th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17120-0225
P: (717) 787-6245
F: (717) 772-3581