Applicants for New & Emerging Grants must have applied for 501(c) 3 status, have a founding document, and bylaws that comply with prohibitions against discrimination as required by Federal/State and/or County legislation.
Organizations that have established financial autonomy, have attained a recognized level of artistic quality or public recognition commensurate with their stated goals, and have not been in existence for more than three (3) years are eligible to apply. All first-time grant applicants which have been in existence for three (3) years or less must complete the New & Emerging application.
In general, the Prince William County Department of Parks and Recreation will consider grant applications for any organizations that
- Are recognized as a non-profit and exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(a), which includes the 501(c) 3 designation, of the Internal Revenue code for at least one year and has completed a season of programs. (Exception is for organizations applying for New & Emerging Grants);
- Produce, present, support, or provide educational opportunities for dance, literary arts, media arts, music, theater, visual, and related arts;
- Comply with Title VI, Section 601, of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which states that no person, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance;
- Comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which state that no otherwise qualified person shall, solely by reason of his or her handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance;
- Are based in Prince William County, Manassas, and/or Manassas Park by meeting, rehearsing, exhibiting, and operating within this community;
- Have 80% members or participants from the community or 70% of services or programs offered within Prince William County, Manassas, and/or Manassas Park;
- Submitted all required final reports for previous grant(s) received from Prince William County.
Note: Prince William County Arts Council affiliation is not a requirement to apply for New & Emerging grant funds.
The Prince William County Grants do not fund:
- Activities restricted to an organization’s membership
- Cost of parties, receptions, fund-raising benefits, etc.
- Activities that benefit primarily other jurisdictions outside of the Greater Prince William County area.
- Activities and organizations that are wholly sponsored by commercial institutions, religious institutions, government agencies, public or private educational institutions
- College or university-based projects that are part of a required course or curriculum, or that do not involve and serve a significant non-student population
- General operating support for historic celebrations or community promotional activities
- Work of individual artists; or a cost to benefit an individual
- Elimination of existing debts
- Capital expenses
- Endowment funds, scholarships, or prizes