Miller Outdoor Theatre (MOT) Grant
Grants to Houston, Texas Nonprofits for
Professional Arts, Music, and Cultural Performances
Professional Arts, Music, and Cultural Performances
Foundation / Corporation
Miller Theatre Advisory Board (MTAB)
07/28/17 Postmarked or Hand-Delivered by 5:30 PM
Grants to Houston, Texas nonprofit organizations for free professional-caliber arts, cultural, theater, and music performances that have broad popular appeal and increase tourism within the City. Family-friendly programs with cross-over, multicultural and multi-generational appeal are particularly encouraged. Grants are intended to support a wide variety of professional performances at Miller Outdoor Theater.
MTAB accepts applications for the following types of programs at Miller Outdoor Theater:
- Theater: Projects or organizations that present or produce theater or musical theater.
- Music: Projects or organizations that produce or present classical music, new music, contemporary music, chamber music, early music, jazz music, non-classical music, blues, gospel, and popular music including orchestras, opera companies, vocal ensembles, concert bands, etc.
- Dance: Projects or organizations which support dance performances including ballet, modern and avant-garde, ballet, folklorico, folk, ethnic, and jazz dance styles, historical dance companies, and collectives of individual choreographers.
- Folk Art: Projects and organizations that present traditional performing arts, enhance public understanding of these traditions to help to sustain the vitality of the performing arts heritage.
- Multidisciplinary: Projects and organizations that fuse or transcend distinct performing art disciplines and present a balance of events in two or more performing art forms.
- Festivals: MTAB is not accepting applications for any new festivals. Only festivals funded for 2017 may re-apply. Festival funding by MTAB only pertains to the performances on the Miller Outdoor Theater main stage. No activities may begin prior to 6:00 pm. No vendor booths are allowed.
The period of support for the grant is the 2018 calendar year and all funded programs must occur between March 16 and November 10.
The following General Eligibility Requirements pertain to all applicant organizations:
- Applicants must have been in operation for at least one full year as a tax-exempt, charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Applicant must be able to produce financial statements showing activity for the most recently completed fiscal year, and a recent 990 filing with the IRS before the grant application deadline.
- Applicants must be able to meet City of Houston insurance requirements (See “Insurance Requirements”).
- Applicants must be governed by a Board of Directors that meets regularly.
- Applicants must provide programs open to the general public.
- Admission may not be charged at the Miller Outdoor Theater.
- The Miller Outdoor Theater was built for a capacity of 6,000 patrons (1705 in seats, remainder on hill).
MTAB does not fund the following:
- Organizational overhead not directly in support of the event to be performed on the MOT stage. Related administrative costs should not exceed 25% of the total application budget.
- Pre-production costs of a show that will have a life beyond the MOT stage. For such shows, MTAB will fund only an appropriately pro-rated share of pre-production expenses.
- Activities that do not take place on the MOT main stage.
- Photography and/or video of your MOT performance. Only expenses related to the pre-performance marketing of your event are eligible.
- Programs whose primary purpose is religious* or political.
*Exception: Religious organizations or groups closely affiliated with religious organizations may receive funding if the following conditions are met:
- The primary effect of the performance neither advances nor inhibits religion,
- The performance does not promote one religion over another, and
- The performance is open to the general public.
Applicant Orientation Session:
Date: Thursday, June 15
Time: 4:30 – 6:00 PM
Location: Onstage Miller Outdoor Theater
Applications must be postmarked or hand-delivered to the MTAB office by Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5:30 PM. Late applications will not be accepted.
Grant awards will not exceed fifty percent of production expenses. Grantees must provide funds or in-kind contributions that equal or exceed the MTAB Grant amount. Cash from other sources must account for at least 50% of the match.
Prior to completing the attached application form, applicants are advised to consult with the Miller Outdoor Theater Facility Manager for an estimate of costs that will be incurred at MOT and for technical theater information. Please contact the Facility Manager Shawn Hauptmann at the number listed below.
Should you need information or assistance from any of the staff contacts, please schedule an appointment no later than July 21. After that date, MOT is no longer able to offer this assistance.
Although all 2018 funding applications will be due on the same date, grants will be awarded in two Phases. Phase I is for applicants who are applying for performance dates prior to July 31, 2018 and (in the case of repeat applicants) whose 2017 performances occur prior to July 31, 2017. The remaining applicants are considered as occurring in Phase II.
- Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2018: Application posted on website
- Thursday, June 15, 4:30 PM: Applicant Orientation Session – Onstage Miller Outdoor Theater, 4:30 – 6:00 PM
- Friday, July 28: Applications due by 5:30 pm or postmarked by date
- Tuesday, August 22: Applicant Interviews as determined by MTAB
- Mid-October: Phase I funding announced (for events scheduled from March through July, 2018)
- Tuesday, November 7: Phase II applicant interviews as determined by MTAB
- Early January: Phase II funding announced (for events scheduled from August 1 through November 10, 2018)
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit your application and attachments to:
Miller Theatre Advisory Board, INC.
P. O. Box 66267
Houston, Texas 77266-6267
For an estimate of costs that will be incurred at MOT and for technical theater information, please contact the General Manager, Shawn Hauptmann at (832) 487-7104, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the grant process, required documentation, insurance, or payment procedures, please contact MTAB Director of Finance and Operations Reg Burns at (832) 487-7119, email@example.com.
For questions concerning available dates or artistic criteria, contact Managing Director Cissy Segall Davis at (832) 487-7127, firstname.lastname@example.org.
USA: Texas: Houston
Our team of researchers and grant specialists review hundreds of funding resources daily to make sure GrantWatch.com provides members with the most up-to-date grants.