Foundation / Corporation
Puffin Foundation West (PFW)
Grants averaging between $550 and $2,500 to USA artists, nonprofits, and IHEs for art projects that educate the public on important contemporary issues. Funding is intended to assist artists and organizations that are often excluded from mainstream opportunities for various reasons.
The Foundation is interested in art projects that educate the public on topical issues that seek to enrich and inform the public on important subjects such as the environment, social justice, civil rights and other contemporary issues facing the country (and the planet), that other organizations might hesitate to fund. You may call this Activist Art. The Foundation also gives special consideration to communities that feel that their children are underserved by the arts.
The Foundation is looking for projects that use art to discuss social and civil justice issues including food insecurity, peace, prisons, discrimination, race, culture, sexual orientation, censorship, children’s rights, trafficking, global warming, environmental protection, nuclear proliferation, poverty, gender issues, racial profiling, immigration, bullying, violence in schools, homelessness, gun control, animal rights, and etc.
The Foundation likes to grant to new applicants, though there are a number of grantees whose work does get continuing grant support on back-to-back years.
GrantWatch ID#: 143880
Average grants range from $550 - $2,500.
Current grantees can apply in the year following their grant award for a continuing grant for any ongoing community outreach project.
Grants from PFW can only be awarded to citizens of the United States or other NFPs, Universities, or fiscal agents.
The Foundation typically will not consider grants from NFPs whose annual budget is $1 million or more.
- Puffin West does not fund citizens/permanent residents or NFPs for projects that occur outside of the United States.
- The Foundation does not have the resources to offer financial assistance for scholarships or educational funding.
- The Foundation does not fund travel expenses or conference fees. This includes room and board.
- The Foundation does not provide funds for regular operating costs for brick and mortar overhead; this includes but is not limited to education/course work, seminars, automobiles, gasoline, hotels, food, computers, or funds for durable equipment and items that are not specifically to be used solely for your grant proposal.
- The Foundation does not pay salaries that are already contemplated in your usual annual budget.
- Tuesday, September 4th, 2018: Acceptance of original grant applications sent via the United States Postal Service begins.
- Monday, November 19th, 2018: All early determination applications must be in hand.
- Saturday, December 8th, 2018: All grants applications must be in hand (sent via the United States Postal Service only).
- Late December 2018-Early January 2019: Puffin Foundation West’s grants committee meets and reviews all grants received and makes grant award determinations.
- January-February 2019: The grants committee will advise applicants via their email if their application does not complement Puffin Foundation West’s mission.
- January 5th, 2019: Legitimate early determination grants are reviewed first. Every effort will be made to have all early determination grants processed by the middle of February.
- January 5th, 2019-May 15th, 2019: Grant awards are made.
If you require “Early Determination,” please check the box on the Application.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Java Kitrick, President
Please mail applications to:
Puffin Foundation West, Ltd.
3710 Exchange Glenwood Place #331
Raleigh, NC 27612
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming