Commonwealth of Pennsylvania - Standards Aligned System (SAS) and Pennsylvania Department of Education
Awards to Pennsylvania K-12 classroom teachers in public schools to recognize exemplary teaching in order to encourage quality and innovative teaching and superior student achievement. The funding is intended to honor teachers who have contributed to the children and youth of Pennsylvania and to select a nominee for the National Teacher of the Year award. Any parent, community member, student, or educator can nominate an individual who meets the criteria to be a Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year.
Being a Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year and nominee for the National Teacher of the Year is a great honor and responsibility. Regional finalists for Teacher of the Year and the national nominee, in particular, will be asked to participate in a variety of activities, such as serving on Pennsylvania Department of Education committees and making presentations to various groups. The national nominee will also be invited to participate in state nominee activities. The National Teacher of the Year is released from classroom duties for a year to serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the teaching profession.
GrantWatch ID#: 144240
- Possess a valid Pennsylvania Instructional II certificate;
- Be exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable and skilled pre-kindergarten through grade twelve teachers in any public school in Pennsylvania;
- Plan to continue in an active teaching status through the current school year;
- Incorporate effective and innovative instructional strategies, particularly elements of the Standards Aligned Systems (SAS);
- Inspire students of all backgrounds to learn;
- Have the respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues;
- Play an active role in the school and community;
- Be poised, articulate, and have good communication skills.
Applications are due December 15.
To nominate a teacher for Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year, please complete and submit a Nomination Form to the Nominations Chair of NSTOY-PA . The nominee will be sent an application to complete and submit. All nomination forms received after December 15th of each year will be rolled into the following year’s applications.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Form may be emailed to:
Michelle Switala at:
Or mailed to:
821 Washington Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15229