Foundation / Corporation
United Teachers of Dade and Miami-Dade County Public Schools
Award to honor a Miami-Dade County, Florida public school teacher, guidance counselor, media specialists, speech pathologist, or any other full-time staff member whose major responsibility is the direct instruction of students or other teachers. This Award program is not attempting to single out any individual teacher as the best teacher, but to honor one teacher who is a representative of all the excellent teachers working in Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
From among the many outstanding teachers serving in the school system’s instructional staff, four will be selected (one representing each of the three Regions and one from Adult/Vocational/Educational Opportunity and Access). One of these four will be selected as Miami-Dade County’s 2019 Francisco R. Walker District Teacher of the Year.
Special centers and charter schools will compete in the geographic region in which they are located. Special centers are urged to include teachers who are teaching at work sites other than the school to which they are assigned. For example: Satellite Learning Centers, Hospital and Homebound teachers and Neva King Cooper Educational Center, Ruth Owens Krusé Educational Center, Robert Renick Educational Center, etc.
Each nominee will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrates a superior ability to foster excellence in education; contributes to the continuous improvement of student learning and the school environment; and maintains a record of superior teaching performance as evidenced by student learning gains, annual performance assessment and recognition of work.
- Utilizes original and/or innovative instructional materials, methods, curriculum or tools such as interdisciplinary instruction, project-based learning, research-based programs or technology to facilitate instruction.
- Actively engages in targeted, collaborative and sustained professional development and demonstrates leadership in educational activities at the school, district and/or state and national level, such as active membership in an advisory council, task force or professional organization or through involvement as a grade level or department chair.
- Demonstrates a commitment to creating a climate of caring and respect inside and outside the classroom with students, families and other stakeholders conducive to effective teaching and learning and engages parents/families in the learning process to enhance student achievement.
GrantWatch ID#: 144674
1. Any full-time staff member is eligible whose major responsibility (51% of time) is the direct instruction of students or other teachers, and who carries out his or her duties under a regular, predetermined schedule resulting in teacher service to the same group(s) of individuals throughout the year.
2. Under the rules as set by the Council of Chief State School Officers, community college and university teachers are ineligible, as are school personnel whose major responsibilities are administrative or supervisory, such as principals or deans of students.
3. The following full-time district educators are eligible for nomination:
- Classroom teachers (Grades Pre-K through 12)
- Adult education teachers
- Department chairpersons who actively engage in classroom teaching
- Postsecondary vocational/technical education teachers
- Guidance counselors
- Media specialists
- Speech/language pathologists
- Special area teachers (i.e. ESE, foreign languages)
- Charter school teachers
- Other professional educators performing instructional support services with students (i.e. CSI instructors)
4. A minimum of five full years (years as a 3100 teacher may be included) of acceptable teaching in Miami-Dade County Public Schools, prior to the year of nomination, is required.
5. Nominations should be made without regard to race, age, sex, disability, religion, national origin, political or philosophical affiliations or activities.
6. Paraprofessionals and office employees are not eligible to be nominated.
7. Teachers representing UTD on the Joint M-DCPS/UTD Teacher of the Year District Task Force are ineligible.
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to download the application.
Specific Deadline Dates:
- November 20, 2017: School-site nomination packets due to the appropriate Region. Please provide the original and 15 copies.
- December 11, 2017: Nomination packet must be delivered by 4 PM
- December 14, 2017: Interviews of four District Finalists by the District Teacher of the Year Task Force.
- January 11 & 12, 2018: Classroom observations of District Finalists by the District Teacher of the Year Task Force.
- January 29, 2018: Video of classroom teaching uploaded to YouTube.
- January 25, 2018: District Teacher of the Year Ceremony
- February 5, 2018: District nomination packet due to Florida Department of Education/Macy’s Teacher of the Year
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Nomination packets must be delivered to: Mr. Zachary Garvin, Office of Instructional Staffing, 1450 Northeast Second Avenue, Room 150.
The youtube link to the video of classroom teaching must be submitted to Mr. Zachary Garvin at email@example.com.
United Teachers of Dade
2200 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, FL 33137
USA: Florida: Miami-Dade County