Foundation / Corporation
Humboldt Area Foundation (HAF)
Grants of up to $5,000 to California nonprofits, public schools, government agencies, and Indian tribal governments in Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity, and Curry Counties for a one-on-one strategic consultation. Funding is intended to help organizations increase effectiveness and have a greater impact on the community.
Grants may include, but are not limited to, working with a consultant on:
- Planning, Problem Solving and Solution Creating: Strategy, Fiscal, Business, Capital, Feasibility, Fundraising, Communications, Organizational Meltdowns
- Community or Constituent Engagement: Involving those you serve in problem-solving, program planning, development and evaluation
- Building or Increasing Effectiveness of Partnerships, Collaborations or Mergers
- Increasing Equity and Inclusion in Organizational Policy, Process, or Structure
- Assessments: Organizational, Operational, Fiscal, Programmatic
- Financial Management, Strengthening Fiscal Systems
- Training & Leadership Development: Board and Staff Development or Executive Coaching
- Succession Planning
- Human Resources & Personnel Issues
Organizations working in the following ways will be considered for a Consulting Grant:
1. Addresses a pressing community issue
- Improves areas such as health, wellness, creativity, culture, education and/or economic security
- A diverse cross-section of people identify a need or issue in their community as important and are coming together to create solutions around that issue
2. Makes use of collaborative relationships and partners
- Proposal includes local expertise, leadership, youth community partners, funders, and/or businesses
- This may include but is not limited to the development of leaders’ abilities to build bridges between people of different cultures, backgrounds and beliefs
3. Improves quality of life
- Improves community member’s well-being by removing barriers that are based on social, economic, or racial factors
- Increases access to tools, resources or opportunities for those experiencing disparities to enable full participation in their communities
- Engages people directly impacted by a particular issue so that their experiences and knowledge shape the organization’s or project’s understanding of related needs, opportunities, and solutions
4. Integrates and promotes leadership skill development for youth and residents
- Strengthens the skills and abilities of residents, groups and organizations to identify, analyze, collaborate, and solve pressing community issues
GrantWatch ID#: 145624
HAF makes approximately 5-10 Consulting Grants per year.
The grant size is up to $5,000.
The Consulting Grant is available to organizations and community groups serving Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity, and Curry Counties. Applicants must be nonprofit charitable or public benefit (federal tax exempt) organizations, public schools, government agencies, Indian tribal governments or have a qualified fiscal sponsor.
Generally, Consulting Grants do not assist with website development or social media strategy.
HAF will not consider consultant fees greater than $250/hour.
Deadline: March 1, June 1, September 1, and December 1 (or first business day thereafter). Applicants will be notified of funding decision within six weeks of proposal deadline.
HAF encourages applicants to discuss their technical assistance needs with Program Manager for Nonprofit Resources, Amy Jester, before submitting a proposal. Prior to applying for a Consulting Grant, organizations should also contact the consultant of their choice to discuss their needs. Please submit a proposal from the consultant you plan to work with including expected hours, fee, and scope of work.
Generally, organizations may only apply for a Consulting Grant up to once per year.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Applications should be emailed to: email@example.com
Or, mailed to:
Humboldt Area Foundation
363 Indianola Road
Bayside, CA 95524
USA: California: Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity, and Curry Counties