Foundation / Corporation
The Grace S. and W. Linton Nelson Foundation
Grants typically ranging from $7,500 to $20,000 to Pennsylvania nonprofits in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties to support the academic, leadership, and character development of children and youth. A letter of intent is due by January 19, 2017. While there is a particular interest in supporting the development of children and youth ages 6 to 18, support is not limited to that age group.
The Foundation will consider requests for general operating, program and seed funding support. If all of an organization’s programming aligns well with the Foundation’s mission, that organization is encouraged to apply for a general operating grant.
The Foundation's strategic priorities include:
-Fill gaps in life skills education and experiences for children and youth that will prepare them for success in their personal lives, in education, in the workplace, and in their communities;
-Invest in new ideas and new resources that will benefit children and youth; and
-Provide for unmet needs of children and youth, the lack of which may hinder their development.
The Foundation supports non-profit organizations whose work reflects the following values:
-Opportunity: The Foundation is committed to expanding opportunities for children and youth to fulfill their true potential as individuals and as contributing members of society.
-Personal Responsibility: The Foundation aims to promote leadership, good citizenship, self-sufficiency and generosity toward others.
-Integrity: Directors and staff seek to model and promote honesty, candor and the courage to do the right thing.
-Adaptability: The Foundation is committed to learning and to being open-minded and flexible toward the accomplishment of worthwhile goals.
-Stewardship: Directors and staff strive to be thoughtful and thorough in decision making.
GrantWatch ID#: 145720
The grant size varies depending on the grant program, the specific request and the organization. In the core grant program, annual grant sizes typically range between $7,500-$20,000.
In the core grant program, you may only apply for a multi-year grant with prior approval from the Foundation. If you are interested in being considered for a multi-year funding, a valid and compelling case must be made in writing before submission of your letter of inquiry.
The Nelson Foundation funds organizations that are certified 501(c)(3) and 501(a)(1), (2), or (3) of the Internal Revenue Code and with programs that further the Foundation’s mission and that serve the following Counties in Pennsylvania: Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia.
Organizations of all sizes are welcome to apply. However, the Nelson Foundation believes that it may have the greatest impact when it supports smaller organizations.
- Activities or services taking place outside the Pennsylvania counties of Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia
- Grants to individuals
- Grants to national or umbrella organizations
- Private foundations
- Deficits or debt service
- Purchase of tickets, tables, ads or sponsorships
- Support of parties, conferences, fairs and fundraising events
- Medical treatment and research programs (e.g. drug abuse, mental health and bereavement, physical disabilities, and medical conditions and diseases)
- Routine social services or counseling
- Religious or sectarian activities
- Individual schools
- Fellowships, grants in aid of travel or research
- Individual daycare
- Public Policy research or advocacy
- Programs for animals
The Nelson Foundation has two grant cycles that typically begin in January and July of each year. Generally, applicants should expect that:
- Letter of inquiry (LOIs) will be accepted for a 3-week period in January and in July
- Invitations and instructions on how to submit full proposals will be extended to applicants within two weeks of the LOI deadline
- Full proposals will be due approximately four weeks after the LOI deadline
- Grant awards will be made in June and December
- January 2-19, 2018: LOIs accepted
- February 21, 2018: Full proposals due (if LOI was approved in January 2017)
- June 2018: Applicants notified of grant award or denial
How to apply:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Jenny L. Snyder, Program Manager
The Grace S. and W. Linton Nelson Foundation
150 N. Radnor Chester Rd, Suite F200
Radnor, PA 19087
Phone: (610) 977-2488
Fax: (610) 977-0043
USA: Pennsylvania: Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties