Foundation / Corporation
Gutierrez Memorial Fund (GMF)
Grants to Maryland nonprofit arts organizations, arts educators, and individual artists for specific projects that benefit community residents. Special consideration is given to projects that promote artisan training and skill-building, engage community members, and transform the local built environment.
GMF fosters visionaries with new ideas by funding emerging artists and newly established organizations that may be challenged to find traditional funding and where the GMF will make a significant difference. Raising the quality of life through the arts and transforming the built environment are key components in the work of those GMF funds.
The GMF Legacy Grant is a project-based arts grant. Only those proposals requesting funds for a distinct project will be considered. Grants are not intended to cover an organization’s operating budget. The Grant Review Committee will evaluate each proposal on how closely it meets GMFs mission and the following considerations:
Community impact/ transformation - GMF’s goal is to fund projects that build community and transform the physical environment.
- Does the project serve Maryland – and have a positive impact on the community?
- Does the project reach a broad and diverse audience?
- Is the work easily accessible to the greater community?
- Does the project engage the community?
- Does the project transform the environment?
Permanence - It is GMF’s goal to fund projects with permanence.
- Does the project have permanence?
- Does the work have a permanent location, i.e., for murals/public art projects, or result in something tangible, i.e., a published book, film, or recording which is available for sale or accessible to the public (at a retail establishment or online) for an unlimited time.
- Has the location of the project been determined and/or approved?
- Can you provide a letter of support from the property owner?
Educational - It is GMF’s goal to fund projects which provide artisan training and build skills.
- Does the project have an educational aspect?
- Does the project build skills or offer artisan training?
- Can the project be completed within GMFs ideal timeline?
- Has the applicant provided proper evidence of management / oversight to ensure a well organized and timely project?
Need and Budget Requirements
- Is the applicant an emerging artists or newly established organization?
- Is the applicant challenged to find traditional funding?
- Is the proposal for a new and unique program or project – one that has not been funded before?
- Will current GMF resources support the applicant’s entire project budget? Or will the artist/organization need additional sources of funding to fulfill the project?
- Are the costs to execute the project fully detailed, reasonable and appropriate?
- Are other resources available to fund the project?
GrantWatch ID#: 145871
There is no typical or established Legacy Grant award amount. For reference, GMF has awarded grants from $5,000 to $27,000.
The initial disbursement is released no earlier than January 15. It is GMF’s goal that funded projects are completed between January 15th and October 15th.
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- You are an individual artist, educator or arts organization.
- You are a Maryland resident or Maryland-based organization whose programming serves local communities.
- Your work is aimed at benefitting all Maryland residents regardless of political or religious opinion or affiliation, marital status, race, color, creed, age, national origin, or physical or mental disability.
- You are NOT a member of the Gutierrez Memorial Fund Board, selection committee, substantial contributor, participating sponsor or any person or entity associated with GMF, including their advertising and promotional agencies, and their immediate family members (defined as parent, spouse, child, siblings and grandparents).
Grant Application Deadline: Postmarked by October 1st
Application Review Period: November/December
Grant Award Notification: January
Grant Period: January 15th - October 15th
For more information, please review the eligibility requirements and downloadable application documents attached below.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit one (1) signed, original paper application postmarked by September 30th to:
Gutierrez Memorial Fund
Attn: Legacy Grant
PO Box 4773
Baltimore, Maryland 21211
Should you have any questions or need assistance preparing your application, please email Board@GutierrezMemorialFund.com.