Foundation / Corporation
Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines (CFGDM)
10/01/19 4:00 PM
Grants starting at $25,000 to Iowa nonprofit organizations and government agencies for projects that will improve the Greater Des Moines area. Prospective applicants must speak with Foundation staff before applying. Funding areas include arts and culture, education, community betterment, social capital, health, strengthening individuals and families, and workforce development.
Leadership Grant applications will be considered for projects that:
- Advance the Community Foundation's Grantmaking Priorities.
- Include evidence of a strong statement of community need and extensive community support and endorsement, demonstrated by a broad donor base and community buy-in.
- Expand existing, high performing programs.
- Demonstrate significant community impact, are broad and wide-reaching in nature, and are inclusive of the entire Greater Des Moines community.
- Show evidence of long-term community planning for the project and an organizational strategic plan that has included the effort.
- Include a well-developed plan for evaluating success. Grant recipients may be asked to present project results to the Community Foundation Grantmaking Committee.
- Have an achievable plan to sustain the project well beyond the grant period.
- Recognize and celebrate the community's diversity and provide access for underserved populations. Show planning for outreach and accessibility to underserved populations.
- Demonstrate evidence of sufficient planning and organizational capacity to suggest a good opportunity for success.
- Show strong probability for leveraged funding from other sources.
- Include an opportunity for the Community Foundation to participate in a "signature" program or project within the
scope of the entire project.
Funding will be most favorably considered for proposals that:
- Align with the Community Foundation's Grantmaking Priorities (see Supporting Documents below).
- Connect to one or more community visions/plans.
- Build social capital.
- Are collaborative in nature.
- Are sustainable to ensure community impact
- Are positioned to leverage additional resources and support
- Have not received a Leadership Grant in the prior year.
- Have committed to meeting the Iowa Principles and Practices for Charitable Nonprofit Excellence identified by the Iowa Nonprofit Resource Center.
Specific examples of projects eligible for Leadership Grants include:
- Projects that address a critical issue and build community connections and partnerships.
- New or enhanced programs and projects that will be the result of an expansion or building project.
- Expansion of high performing, results-driven programs.
- Seed funding for long-term community betterment project (i.e. annual festival).
GrantWatch ID#: 147334
There is no limit on the amount of funding organizations can request, however, the range of grants is typically $25,000-$250,000.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Before applying, contact:
Chief Community Impact Officer
Phone: (515) 244-0340
Register and submit an LOI online:
Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines
1915 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 883-2626
Fax: (515) 309-0704
USA: Iowa: Greater Des Moines