Grants to North Carolina volunteer emergency response organizations to support the purchase of equipment and other capital expenses. Funding is intended to support organizations that provide emergency services, have a limited number of paid personnel, and are recognized by the local county. Grants are available to assist local rescue or emergency medical service (EMS) providers.
- Rescue provider is all volunteer, with the exception of ten paid positions.
- Rescue provider is recognized by the Department of Insurance as a rescue, EMS, or a rescue/EMS provider/unit.
- Rescue provider must meet the eligibility criteria of the NC Association of Rescue/EMS (NCAREMS) and/or NC Office of Emergency Medical Services (NC OEMS).
- County recognizes organization as providing rescue, EMS, or rescue/EMS.
- Rescue provider must be certified by the NC Office of Emergency Medical Services to request ALS equipment.
For definitions of a Rescue Provider and EMS, see the Full Grant Text RFP link.
Funds may not be used for furniture, copiers, fax machines, manuals, land purchases, refurbish or upgrades to SCBA's, refurbish vehicles, and to refurbish communications equipment.
August 1 - All known rescue providers are notified the online grant application is available.
October 1 - All online applications must be electronically submitted to the NC Department of Insurance.
December 15 - Grant recipients are announced.
April 30 - Invoices/proofs of payment due to NC Department of Insurance. Uploads can be submitted via OSFM24 online portal.
Equipment orders must not be placed before the December 15 announcement date.
Estimated Size of Grant
Rescue Organizations shall match the grant on a dollar-for-dollar basis, up to $25,000. Organizations having cash assets over $1,000 may apply for the matching fund, up to $25,000. Organizations having cash assets less than $1,000 may apply for a non-matching grant, up to $3,000.
Term of Contract
Invoice extensions are given only for approved vehicles and building requests. The manufacturer or contractor must send this office a notarized letter stating the order date and projected delivery/completion date. The letter must be received by the April 30 deadline date. The extension date is September 15.
A Thirty (30) day extension (May 30) can be given for protective clothing (nomex) with a letter of request prior to April 30.