Foundation / Corporation
01/31/18 Postmarked or 3:00 PM hand delivery
Grants ranging from $500 to $5,000 to Gilroy, California nonprofits, schools, and city agencies for programs benefiting community residents. Areas of funding include civic, environmental, culture, education, health, recreation, technology, agriculture, and art.
In reviewing grant applications, the Foundation gives consideration to:
1. Programs that would contribute to civic, cultural, agriculture, educational, health, artistic enrichment, recreational and technological needs of Gilroy and the surrounding area by addressing the cause of major problems rather than merely discussing their continuing effect upon society.
2. The ability of the organization or program to become self-supporting after initial seed money or interim funding.
3. The extent of local volunteer involvement and support for the organization’s board.
4. The organization’s fiscal responsibility and management qualifications.
In authorizing grants, the Foundation gives preference to projects of the following types, whether undertaken by existing agencies or by new agencies.
1. Projects or programs aimed at providing needed facilities or services, for which public funds are either not available or not sufficient and the Foundation’s contribution, either by itself or in conjunction with other private support, would have a significant impact.
2. Projects that will provide leverage in an agency’s ability to secure other funds.
3. Projects that, in responding to known community needs, are designed to coordinate or consolidate community services in an effort to reduce overhead expenses, increase efficiency or eliminate unnecessary duplication.
In addition to the above mentioned three types of projects, consideration may be given to grant applications from organizations that have a history of contributing to the civic, cultural, educational, health, artistic enrichment or recreational needs of Gilroy and its surrounding area, but whose grant application may not otherwise meet the criteria of the Gilroy Foundation.
GrantWatch ID#: 148876
$500 - $5,000
Grant applications will be accepted from nonprofits with a 501(c)(3) status, all Gilroy public and private schools, and the City of Gilroy. Grant consideration cannot be given either to individuals or to organizations that do not have their nonprofit, tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service.
Unless so designated by a donor in the instrument of transfer and approved by the Foundation Board, grants normally will not be awarded to:
- Endowment purposes
- Influence legislation or elections
- Basic research
- Travel to, or in support of, conferences
- Debt retirement or for operational deficit
- Programs outside of the Gilroy community
- Contributions to annual fund drives or in support of operational expenses, except during a start-up period not to exceed three years, and except as may be allowed by other considerations.
- Sectarian religious purposes (does not preclude consideration of requests for educational, medical or social service oriented programs undertaken by church affiliated or supported agencies)
- Fund the same project for more than three consecutive years, except as may be allowed by other considerations.
The competitive grant cycle opens on December 1 of each year. Applications are only available in December and January.
An original application must be submitted to the Foundation by posted mail, postmarked no later than January 31, 2018. Hand-delivered applications can be accepted by 3:00 p.m. on January 31, if prior arrangements are made by phone or email.
All applicants will be notified in March, with grant money being distributed in April at the Foundation’s Annual Meeting and Charitable Giving Presentation event.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Lissa Gaffney, Grants Coordinator
P.O. Box 774
Gilroy, CA 95020
USA: California: Gilroy