Foundation / Corporation
Coldwater Heritage Partnership (CHP)
12/15/17 Postmarked or 5:00 PM Electronic Receipt
Grants of up to $8,000 to Pennsylvania nonprofit organizations and municipalities to implement previously planned projects to enhance, conserve, or protect a coldwater stream. Applicants must contact program staff to discuss their project prior to submitting an application. Grants may be used to pay for equipment, materials, meeting expenditures, construction activities and other services to implement recommendations.
Implementation grants should be projects identified in completed CHP-funded Coldwater Conservation, Watershed, or Rivers Conservation Plans. However, other plans and reports created through another program or organization may be used as eligible documents for applying for an Implementation grant (see Additional Eligibility Information below).
Proposals that meet the following criteria will be given priority:
- Project will occur in a watershed that contains streams with naturally reproducing trout populations. The list of streams containing naturally reproducing trout can be found at: http://fishandboat.com/trout_repro.htm
- Project will occur in a watershed listed as special protection waters within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Chapter 93 or have the potential to be upgraded. This information can be found at: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter93/chap93toc.html
- Streams and other water bodies in project area are generally open to the public for recreational activities including angling;
- Project demonstrates significant partnerships, volunteer involvement, and promotes opportunities for citizen science and engagement;
- Local watershed organizations, TU chapters, county conservation districts or academic institutions (rather than consulting firms) take the leading role in the implementation of the project; and
- Proposed project demonstrates benefits to coldwater fish species as well as to the local community’s economic, recreational, aesthetic characteristics or objectives.
Examples of eligible projects are listed below, although other projects may be eligible:
-Natural stream channel and bank restoration projects that maintain or improve water quality.
-In-stream aquatic wildlife/fish improvement structures.
-Riparian buffer installation or improvement.
-Stormwater best management practices.
-Agricultural best management practices, like stream bank fencing.
-Acid deposition abatement and alkaline addition.
-Education and/or outreach.
-Programs that increase public awareness of watershed issues and provide hands-on experiences.
GrantWatch ID#: 149188
Up to $8,000
Generally, the project should be completed within 18 months of signing the contract.
Organizations that have 501(c)3 non-profit status in Pennsylvania, such as watershed associations, land trusts, Trout Unlimited chapters, conservancies, sportsmen groups, educational institutions and conservation organizations are eligible to apply.
Municipalities, municipal authorities, and counties may also apply.
Organizations that do not have 501(c)3 non-profit status must identify a non-profit organization that will administer the finances for the grant (a pass-through organization).
Only projects proposed within watersheds that have one of the following completed documents will be considered for funding:
- A Coldwater Heritage Partnership Coldwater Conservation Plan*
- A River Conservation Plan
Or, a document that contains the following information:
- A general description of the watershed including relevant geographical, geological, historical, and other information;
- Recent analysis of scientific data for the coldwater ecosystems*
- Lists of areas of concern or potential threats, impacts, problems, or opportunities in the watershed; and
- Recommendations or a plan of action for conservation, preservation and/or restoration activities and projects.
*The Coldwater Heritage Partnership may request updated stream data if documents, data, or analysis seem to be out of date or inconsistent with current stream conditions. The grant applicant may use any completed plan to apply for funding and does not need to be the original author of or contributor to the plan.
Applications must be postmarked by December 15, 2017 or emailed by 5:00 PM. If you do not receive confirmation of your application, it has not been received.
All applicants must contact program staff before submitting an application.
Preference will be given to applications that show a match either of cash or in-kind contributions such as volunteer time, donated services, or other donated items that directly tie to the implementation project.
If funded, 90% of the grant award will be provided up front. The remaining 10% will be awarded upon completion of the project and submission of a final report.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Mail or email applications or questions to:
Coldwater Heritage Partnership
Tali MacArthur, Program Director
595 E. Rolling Ridge Drive
Bellefonte, PA 16823