Nebraska Tourism Commission - Visit Nebraska
12/14/18 Postmarked or 5:00 PM Hand Delivery
Grants up to $25,000 to Nebraska nonprofits, for-profits, and municipal, county, and other sub-State governments to host national and international caliber events. Funding is intended to attract tourists from out of state and to generate favorable press coverage on a national or international level.
Description of Program
The Nebraska Tourism Commission administers this grant program, per Nebraska Revised Statute 81-3725, to provide marketing assistance grants to communities and organizations hosting national or international-caliber events held in Nebraska that have the potential to attract a significant percentage of out-of-state visitors and to generate favorable national or international press coverage for Nebraska. A community or organization applying for a grant shall provide:
(a) documentation that the event will attract out-of-state visitors; (b) details regarding the type of marketing that would be carried out with state funds; (c) methodologies used to track the impact of marketing efforts and the number of out-of-state visitors attending the event; and (d) details regarding the potential national or international press coverage that will be generated by the event.
Recommended Directed-Marketing Participation:
Increased promotion of national and international-caliber events within the Commission’s marketing channels can increase exposure, draw attendees, and benefit the state as a whole. Applicants requesting grant funding through this program are encouraged to direct a portion of the marketing efforts towards at least one of the following exclusive Directed-Marketing projects, offered only through this program:
- Exclusive one-time promotion to the Nebraska Tourism Commission’s 30,000 + e-newsletter subscribers prior to your event. Get help with content creation and promote your event to visitors already interested in Nebraska travel looking for a new destination.
Cost: $2,500 sent out on the date of your choice
- Exclusive event advertising on the home page of VisitNebraska.com. Showcase your event in a prominent location to site visitors as they begin their search on VisitNebraska.com.
Cost: $5,000 for 3 months leading up to the event
- Exclusive event advertising spread in the 2020 Official Nebraska Travel Guide. Showcase your event in a prominent location within the primary advertising response piece of the Nebraska Tourism Commission, a cost-effective way to increase exposure to an audience interested in Nebraska travel. (Distribution 200,000 guides which become available beginning in January 2020).
In addition to the Directed-Marketing recommendations above, communities and organizations hosting national or international-caliber events can apply for eligible activities including, but not limited to, the following:
1) National or international broadcasting promotions of an event
2) Marketing efforts of events with the intention to draw national or international visitors (such as music/film/art festivals, large scale sporting events, etc.)
3) Production and placement of mass media advertising directed outside of Nebraska including magazine, newspaper, radio, television, or website development/online promotions for an event
4) Community and regional promotional ventures/efforts to secure event bids (Nebraska must be confirmed as the event host location prior to submitting grant application)
Successful applicants will utilize creative marketing strategies to generally promote, encourage and attract visitors to the state, focusing on the use of media sources to promote their event on a nationwide or international scale and, in turn, gain national and international press coverage of their event and Nebraska.
GrantWatch ID#: 149266
An individual grant will be awarded for an amount no higher than $25,000.
Grants are available for both for-profit and nonprofit organizations, including municipal, county, and other sub-State governments in Nebraska, applying for grants independently or cooperatively with other organizations and/or other sub-State governments.
A federal identification number is required in the submittal of an application. No more than one grant will be awarded in the grant period to any grantee applying for a grant independently, but the same grantee can participate in a cooperative activity awarded a grant. For example, a convention and visitors bureau can receive a grant by itself and additionally be in a group of convention and visitor bureaus jointly applying for, and receiving, a grant.
Ineligible applicants are Federal and State government agencies.
Items not eligible for funding include, but are not limited to, capital facility development or improvements, construction of attractions and other travel-related facilities; administrative expenses for salaries, newsletters, stationery, etc.; bumper stickers, t-shirts, placemats, and other specialty items; talent/dignitary honorariums or awards; purchase of computers, projectors, and other equipment; association or organization dues. Also ineligible are activities directed at moving tourism-related events already held in Nebraska, including sporting events, from one location in the state to another.
All grantees must provide at least a 25% match. At least half (12.5%) must be cash spent towards the project, the other half (12.5%) can be in-kind services and/or donated materials; however, documentation must be provided for any in-kind match.
Grant Program Schedule
- October 16, 2018: Grant guidelines made available
- December 14, 2018: Completed grant applications due
- February 1, 2019: Grant awards announced
- May 31, 2020: Grant reimbursement paperwork due – FIRM DEADLINE
DEADLINE: If submitting via US Postal Service, the application must be postmarked no later than December 14, 2018. If delivering application by hand, the application must be turned into the Tourism Commission office no later than 5:00 pm on December 14, 2018. NOTE: Applications cannot be modified or accepted after deadline has passed. NO EXCEPTIONS
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Heather Hogue, Grant Administrator
Nebraska Tourism Commission
301 Centennial Mall South, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 98907
Lincoln, NE 68509-8907