Foundation / Corporation
American Library Association
In-kind grants of books to USA schools and non-profits to help build collections and bring books into the lives of children in latchkey, preschool programs, faith-based reading projects, homeless shelters, charter schools and underfunded libraries, to ensure that children's lives are saturated with books and reading opportunities.
Though the grant is particularly interested in giving books to nontraditional institutions that provide both educational and custodial services to children and their families, under-funded libraries are welcome to apply.
Applicants must demonstrate:
-Why the collection is needed in their community.
-Why the collection is needed in their institution.
-How acquiring the collection will help them better serve the children and youth of their community.
-That the materials will be made freely available to children and youth without censorship.
GrantWatch ID#: 149418
Any agency that serves children or youth can apply for this award. This includes schools, libraries, social service agencies, prisons or detention centers, churches or other religious organizations, and institutions of higher education.
Download and complete the application cover sheet.
In no more than four pages, provide the following information:
- Describe the community served by your agency or institution; include demographic statistics.
- Explain why this community needs a collection of books by African American authors and illustrators.
- Describe your agency or institution, including your current services, collections and materials budget.
- Explain why your agency or institution needs these materials.
- Explain how the materials will be made available to children and youth in your community. How will these materials improve service to children and youth?
- Explain how the materials will promote positive self-image of African American children and youth and/or broaden the worldview of children and youth.
Mail one original copy of the complete application to the address posted below.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Michelle Harrell Washington
Coretta Scott King Book Awards Donation Grant
Office for Literacy & Outreach Services
50 East Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming