Foundation / Corporation
Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth (VFHY)
02/02/18 5:00 PM
Grants to Virginia nonprofit organizations, universities, government agencies, and businesses for collaborative research projects related to the prevention of tobacco use among youth under the age of 18. Research projects that address one or more of the following priorities will be considered:
-Identifying components of youth culture/behavior in order to inform future marketing efforts in Virginia;
- The effect of active use of social media and tobacco related messages on the attitudes and behaviors about tobacco use among youth;
- The knowledge, perceptions, and/or impact of new and/or alternative tobacco products including flavored products on youth in Virginia;
- Methods to discourage experimentation/initiation of use of alternative tobacco products;
- The impact of other tobacco products on the trajectory of use, transition to cigarette/cigar use, and poly-use among youth;
- Cultural factors that influence the age of initiation and prevalence of tobacco use among youth;
- Developing innovative interventions that target tobacco users at the point of initiation and while at low levels of use to prevent ongoing use; the etiology of youth smoking including the macro- and micro-environmental influences;
- The effect of policies and the retail environment on youth initiation, prevalence and/or poly-use;
- Psycho-social aspects of youth tobacco use; secondary data analysis of existing data 4 sets;
- The factors that relate to the progression of experimentation with tobacco products to addiction by youth;
- Research on the types of interventions that work with various demographics of youth;
- Disparities among differing groups of youth based on social determinants of health; and/or
- Research into tobacco use cessation specifically for youth.
GrantWatch ID#: 149904
Individual grant awards will not exceed $150,000 per year ($450,000 total for all three years) to implement tobacco use prevention/cessation programs in Virginia communities.
This is a three-year grant program, with a contract period of July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021.
Virginia universities, nonprofit/charitable organizations, government agencies, and businesses are eligible to submit proposals.
Applicants who are not considered a nonprofit, charitable, Virginia government entity or a Virginia state-funded university must also register with Virginia’s electronic procurement portal at www.eva.virginia.gov. (Please see additional instructions/information available on the VFHY website, http://www.vfhy.org/, funding opportunities tab.)
The VFHY will consider projects that demonstrate collaboration with at least one (1) other organization and/or institution (herein referred to as partners). This collaboration can be demonstrated through a thorough description of how collaborating partners will be identified and secured or with letters of support from partners that have agreed to collaborate and/or serve as subcontractors for the proposal. The lead applicant must be a Virginia-based organization. Collaborating partners may be based in Virginia or elsewhere.
Applications are due no later than 5:00 PM on February 2, 2018.
Click on the links in the Supporting Documents section below to download the application forms, instructions, and terms and conditions.
The VFHY requires that entities that receive funds also participate in two-day meetings of a statewide coalition, typically held once annually in Richmond, Virginia.
The VFHY also requires institutions to participate in a two-day research conference in Richmond, Virginia that will occur once during the funding cycle. This will help promote and ensure collaboration and resource sharing between research entities as well as an integrated statewide effort on all research initiatives. Applicants should budget travel funds for these events.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Click here to apply online: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=vtsf
Marge White, Deputy Director
Phone: (804) 225-3637
Lisa Brown, Regional Grants Administrator (North Region)
Phone: (703) 501-3042
Fax: (703) 793-9514
Click here for a complete list of staff contacts: https://www.vfhy.org/about-vfhy/contact-us
General Contact Information:
Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth
701 East Franklin Street, Suite 500
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 786-2523
Fax: (804) 225-2272