Award to a Minnesota teacher to recognize outstanding contributions to education. Nominations are invited for licensed teachers working in pre-K-12th grade classrooms or in ECFE or Adult Basic Education programs. The award recipient will represent the profession as an advocate for education and a spokesperson for teachers. The Minnesota Teacher of the Year makes presentations, meets with policymakers, and attends frequent meetings.
Eligible nominees must meet these criteria:
- Teach in a public or nonpublic Pre-K through 12th-grade school or ECFE or Adult Basic Education program, working at least 50 percent of the time directly with students.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree and a Minnesota teaching license.
- Have completed five years of teaching by the nomination deadline.
- Intend to teach for the full following school year after being named.
The nomination deadline is Wednesday, Nov. 15.
- Oct. 2, 2023: Nomination period opens.
- Nov. 15, 2023: Nomination period closes. Nomination forms must be on file in the state program office.
- Jan. 2024: Completed materials must be postmarked, emailed to the state program office.
- Feb. 2024: Semifinalists are selected.
- March 2024: Finalists are selected.
- May 5, 2024: Recognition banquet. All candidates are acknowledged and the 2024 Minnesota Teacher of the Year is announced.
Once nominated, teachers will receive a packet in the mail containing instructions for moving forward in this process. Note: Nominees only can accept nominations in any two consecutive years.
Number of Grants
The program chooses one teacher to represent Minnesota’s thousands of excellent educators.