Award to an Idaho teacher to recognize excellence in the teaching profession. The award is intended to acknowledge and honor teachers who have made a significant impact on their students. Eligible teachers are those who inspire their students to achieve, have innovative teaching methods, and go beyond the call of duty to help students persevere in life and prepare for their future. The Idaho Teacher of the Year also becomes a nominee for the National Teacher of the Year.
The selected candidate for ITOY will maintain a regular teaching schedule while also fulfilling the duties of the Teacher of the Year position. Some highlights of the position may include:
Participating in the NTOY Program as a representative of Idaho
Presenting to the Senate and House Education Committees in Boise during the legislative session
Travel across Idaho to speak with other educators, legislators, and policymakers about education in the state
Participating in the CCSSO NTOY Program Induction conference (approx. one week in length)
Participating in the NTOY Washington Recognition Week in Washington DC (approx. one week in length)
Participating in International Space Camp in Huntsville, AL (approx. one week in length)
Participating in the ECS National Forum on Education Policy – location TBD (approx. three days in length)
Others (see text field entitled "Additional Eligibility Criteria" for clarification)
Additional Eligibility Criteria
The Idaho Teacher of the Year is chosen from among the districts' nominees by a selection committee representing the state education leaders and lawmakers.
A candidate for Teacher of the Year:
- Is an expert in their field who guides students of all backgrounds and abilities to achieve excellence.
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success.
- Deliberately connects the classroom and key stakeholders to foster a strong community at large.
- Demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom walls that embodies lifelong learning.
- Expresses themselves in an engaging and articulate way.
- January 2023: The nomination window for the 2024 Idaho Teacher of the Year opens
- March 20, 2023: The nomination window closes
- March 27, 2023: The application window for the 2024 Idaho Teacher of the Year opens.
- May 8, 2023: The application window closes
- June – August: Panel reviews applications and selects finalists
- Fall Semester: Announcement of the 2024 Idaho Teacher of the Year
The SDE will contact nominated teachers and invite them to apply for Teacher of the Year.