Colorado Department of Local Affairs (DOLA)
Grants to Colorado government agencies for economic development in rural communities. Funding is available for strategic planning to diversify the economy, and major infrastructure projects. Applicants proposing to leverage private investment, entrepreneurship, or public/private partnerships must contact program staff prior to applying.
Three types of projects are eligible for funding:
1. Local Government Economic Planning Grants.
- DOLA recommends grant requests not exceed $100,000.
- Projects must result in a plan that will help to diversify the local economy. Examples include: strategic plans, engineering plans, land use feasibility, and/or marketing studies. Consulting services for specific project implementation are also eligible.
2. Infrastructure grants that support economic diversification.
- DOLA recommends grant requests not exceed $500,000.
- Projects must result in infrastructure that supports the diversification of the local economy. Examples include facility expansion, business incubators, industrial park infrastructure.
3. Grants that support the growth and development of rural entrepreneurial eco-systems.
- Projects supporting community, economic or workforce development are potentially eligible for REDI assistance. -
Projects that support entrepreneurship, leverage private investment, or public/private partnerships (e.g. innovation centers, co-working spaces, maker-spaces, business expansion, and scaling up) could be eligible. Please contact the REDI Program Manager or OEDIT to discuss opportunities or ideas prior to applying.
All projects should be identified as a priority for the community within a comprehensive and holistic approach.
GrantWatch ID#: 151148
Local Government Economic Planning Grants: Requests should not exceed $100,000
Infrastructure grants: Requests should not exceed $500,000
The fiscal year runs from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.
The most successful applications to this program are those from counties with less than 50,000 people, and from communities with fewer than 20,000 people.
- New building construction or significant renovation projects meeting certain thresholds may need to work with DOLA to ensure achievement of energy efficiency measures (e.g., LEED or Green Globes certification or commissioning). The project may need to comply with energy efficiency rules if: the project receives 25% or more of its funds from state funding, contains 5,000 or more square feet, includes an HVAC system, or, in the case of renovation projects, the cost of renovation exceeds 25% of the current property value.
- Projects must meet performance criteria, such as construction completion milestones or other project deliverables. Projects may be denied reimbursement or may be required to pay back funds if performance criteria are not met.
- Applicants must follow local procurement rules. If rules are not place,state procurement rules must be followed.
If your project does not fit into one of these categories, and you think you are eligible, please contact the DOLA REDI program manager.
The application deadline is March 30, 2018.
The grant application process is available electronically. All applications must be submitted using the online grants portal to be considered for an award. Please allow yourself plenty of time to become familiar with the new system. Local governments will need to create an account, log in to the system and complete each section of the application for electronic submittal.
Prior to submittal, you are strongly encouraged to contact your DOLA regional manager and the REDI program manager. Applications may be more successful if a large employer or dominant industry is at risk in the community.
No minimum match is required; however, based on financial data in-kind and/or a cash match may increase the success of the application.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://dola.colorado.gov/grants_portal/
Trish Thibodo, REDI Program Manager
For questions on the online application, please call (303) 864-7720 or email DLG at: email@example.com
Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade
1625 Broadway, Suite 2700
Denver, CO 80202