Grants of up to $1,000 each to Manitoba, Canada K-12 public school English, Francais, and French immersion teachers seeking to bring scientists into their classrooms for hands-on learning experiences. Funding is intended to cover expenses such as teacher release time for planning, professional development, and teaching/learning resources.
Specifically, the goals of these grants are to:
- Support schools in their efforts to encourage students to develop a critical sense of wonder and curiosity about scientific and technological endeavors;
- Contribute to exemplary practices in science education; and
- Provide students with opportunities to interact with people working in the field of science.
Further, the projects should:
- Be integrated in the curriculum - where learning about science in the real world is embedded in the science curriculum and is not a separate topic
- Help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills - where students develop a variety of skills required for scientific and technological inquiry in a meaningful context
- Be applicable - where curriculum content is linked to work done by a scientist
- Have a career focus - where local scientists are involved, allowing students to make connections with career opportunities within their community
Collaborating scientists must play a significant and active role in any proposed project. A project should involve more than a one-time presentation by a scientist.