Government of Canada
01/12/18 Postmarked by date
Awards of $1,000 and $5,000 to Canada early childhood educators or teams of educators for excellence in education and dedication and commitment to the profession and to the development of young children. Nominees are also judged by their outstanding ability to support and engage the development of the children in their care. While a specific exemplary project or practice may form part of a nomination, nominees are judged on their overall and ongoing merits as educators.
In selecting award recipients, the committee looks for clear evidence showing that nominees have excelled in all of the following four areas:
1. Support of child development
3. Involvement with parents, families and the community
4. Commitment and leadership in the field
Early childhood educators are eligible for two awards:
The National Certificate of Excellence
- Carries a cash prize of $5,000.
- Awards are shared equally between the recipients and their centers.
- Recipients are traditionally invited to Ottawa to receive their award from the Prime Minister or his designate.
The Regional Certificate of Achievement
- Carries a cash prize of $1,000.
- Awards are given solely to the recipients.
- Recipients are traditionally honored locally at community events and receive their award from their Member of Parliament or local leader, as appropriate.
All winning educators receive a certificate and a letter of congratulations from the Prime Minister. Each recipient's center also receives a certificate.
GrantWatch ID#: 152902
Each year, the Prime Minister's Awards for Excellence in Early Childhood Education awards up to 5 Certificates of Excellence and up to 10 Certificates of Achievement.
- The national Certificate of Excellence: $5,000
- The regional Certificate of Achievement: $1,000
The PMAs are designed to honor the overall accomplishments of an individual or team of up to three educators.
At the time of nomination, all nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Nominees must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Nominees must have successfully completed training in early childhood education and care.
- Nominees must work in a licensed early childhood setting, as defined by provincial or territorial government regulations.
- Nominees must provide hands-on, direct education and care to young children in a licensed Canadian ECE setting at least 15 hours per week and must have worked as an early childhood educator for at least three years and must still be teaching at the time of nomination.
Some provinces and territories are beginning to integrate early childhood education programs into the K–12 system. Eligibility for individual or team nominations which may fall under both award categories will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please contact the PMA program office.
Team Nominations: Each member of a team must meet the eligibility requirements described above. A team nomination should reflect a true collaboration, not simply a collection of individual accomplishments.
All PMA recipients are expected to conform to the program's Code of Conduct: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/pmaece-ppmepe.nsf/eng/h_wy00347.html
Nomination packages must be submitted to the Prime Minister's Awards program office by email or regular mail January 12, 2018.
Nominators may be any person or group with direct knowledge of the nominee's contribution, such as:
- Fellow educators
- Centre director or supervisor, etc.
The following are not acceptable nomination methods:
- Nominations from immediate family membersFootnote 1.
- Posthumous nominations
Three (3) letters must be provided with each nomination, and must be dated and signed by the author.
Nomination text template: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/pmaece-ppmepe.nsf/eng/wy00610.html
Nomination checklist: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/pmaece-ppmepe.nsf/eng/wy00578.html
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email nominations to: email@example.com
Mail nominations to:
Prime Minister's Awards
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
C.D. Howe Building
235 Queen Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
Prime Minister’s Awards (PMA) Office
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon