Grants of up to $30,000 to Pierce County, Washington nonprofits for professional support services to enhance the organization's effectiveness. Funding may be used towards project related expenses such as technology advancements, marketing materials, website development, and consultant fees.
Types of Building Capacity:
1) Program Expansion - Increase the depth and breadth of the organization's reach in a specific community.
2) Strategic Relationships - Provide technical assistance and/or consultant support to help two or more organizations work through/toward a long-term partnership or business plan.
3) Marketing and Outreach - Support planning and/or implementation to create and/or launch a new brand or campaign.
4) Technology - Develop databases, computer networks, and websites, etc., to support the organization's work.
5) Planning - Support business, program, and strategic planning initiatives.
6)Evaluation - Develop program evaluation, including data collection.
7) Business Processes - Create, streamline, or improve the efficiency of internal systems, especially accounting and human resources.
In general, the most successful capacity building projects:
- Address management and leadership issues that affect the organization as a whole, rather than a single department or program.
- Come at a strategic moment for the organization, such as a leadership transition, a period of rapid growth or expansion, or a significant change in a program or income stream.
- Are focused on a single problem or issue, rather than a patchwork of unrelated problems or needs.
- Are critical to the organization's long-term success in achieving its mission.
- Have a product that will benefit the organization beyond the lifetime of the grant.
Others (see text field entitled "Additional Eligibility Criteria" for clarification)
Additional Eligibility Criteria
Nonprofits may apply.
In addition, the following eligibility requirements must also be met:
- Be an organization that serves Pierce County, Washington residents;
- Have the capacity to complete the proposed project within a year; and
- Be current on all final reports for grants previously received from the Greater Tacoma Community Foundation.
These grants will not cover staff time unless the staff member is being trained to become the organization’s subject matter expert on the project topic. Full project costs will be considered for funding, and no matching funds are required. This funding type does not support capital projects or purchases such as computers, automobiles, infrastructure improvements, or buildings, etc.
Organizations are only eligible to receive capacity building funds once each calendar year.
You are invited and welcome to attend any of the drop-in office hour events listed below. These casual in-person meetings are designed to answer your questions in a more personalized setting. There will be no formal presentations at these events. Rather, they are designed to provide a face-to-face opportunity to chat, walk through any potential applications you’re considering or just learn more about any of our competitive grant opportunities.
602 Fawcett Ave
Tacoma, WA 98402
Thursday, August 31
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Anthem Coffee & Tea
201 W. Pioneer Ave
Puyallup, WA 98371
Tuesday, September 12
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
The application period is now open and will close Friday, September 15 at 4:00 PM. Final decisions will be made in late December 2017 with notifications shortly thereafter.