Foundation / Corporation
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)
05/29/19 5:00 PM ET
Awards of $10,000 to USA and Canada sports teams, athletes, and organizations to recognize effective uses of sports to foster and sustain healthier communities. Applicants are expected to demonstrate a collaborative and innovative approach to community health improvement.
In determining the winners of the RWJF Sports Award, the Foundation will take into account its guiding principles in addition to the following selection criteria:
- Making communities healthier though sport: The degree to which the applicant uses sport to address the root causes that influence health and health equity including the diversity of population reached and solutions that contribute to policy, systems, or environmental changes that improve health.
- Innovation: The level of creativity and solutions thinking used to advance health and health equity goals.
- Collaboration: The level of inclusion and cooperation across a broad set of perspectives and sectors to achieve health and health equity goals including shared purpose and accountability.
-Impact and measurable results: The level of success in improving health and health equity in the target population(s) and community(s). The degree the work is being evaluated and results shared with partners and target audiences.
- Sustainability: The approaches used that demonstrate a commitment to solutions that will be long-lasting.
More about the Foundation's guiding principles can be seen at: https://www.rwjf.org/content/rwjf/en/about-rwjf/our-guiding-principles.html
More information about the selection criteria can be seen at the URL for Full Text below.
GrantWatch ID#: 154396
Up to three awards may be given each year.
Each category winner will receive a $10,000 cash prize.
The Foundation will consider applications in the following three categories:
- Category 1: A professional sports team community relations department or foundation based in the United States or Canada.
- Category 2: An individual athlete or professional coach's foundation based in the United States or Canada.
- Category 3: An organization in the United States or Canada that is an influential leader and model for improving community health through sports.
Applicants that are not charitable organizations or public entities must apply with an organization that is such an entity and will receive the prize funds. Additional documentation may be requested.
Eligible organizations must already be in existence.
RWJF grantees are eligible to apply but are given no preference during the review process.
Past Patterson Award winners are eligible to apply.
If you are a chapter within a larger organization, the umbrella organization is eligible to apply, but individual chapters are not. National offices of affiliate organizations are encouraged to feature the work of their local organizations in their application.
Funding not available for equipment, transportation, facilities, fundraising events, or other program expenses.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) will not consider an application if it is submitted by an entity whose name, brand, or practices, in the Foundation’s judgment, denigrates, harms, or discriminates against any racial or ethnic group. For example, a team with a name or mascot that, in RWJF’s view, denigrates Native Americans will not be eligible for the award.
Past RWJF Sports Award winners are not eligible to apply.
2019 Key Dates:
- Deadline for receipt of online applications: May 29, 2019 (5:00 PM ET)
- Finalists notified: Week of July 29, 2019
- Winners notified: Week of September 16, 2019
- Presentation to awardees: November 7, 2019
Nominees may only apply in one of the three award categories.
Eligible organizations must submit their own applications. No third party applications will be accepted.
Funding Process and FAQs: https://www.rwjf.org/en/how-we-work/grants-explorer/funding-opportunities/funding-faqs.html
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: https://my.rwjf.org/login.do?applyCfpId=2901&cfp=2901
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
50 College Road East
Princeton, NJ 08540-6614
US Toll Free: (877) 843-7953
International: +1 (609) 627-6000
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon