Foundation / Corporation
Law Foundation of Prince Edward Island (LFPEI)
09/11/17 5:00 PM AST
Grants of up to $5,000 and grants of up to $15,000 to Prince Edward Island organizations and individuals for activities that strengthen citizens' ability to access justice and legal knowledge. Eligible programs are those that will address one or more of the following legal needs:
- Legal needs of seniors, newcomers, and low and modest income Islanders,
- Family law,
- Innovative approaches to legal aid
- Public legal education (with a focus on plain language and priority consideration of the legal needs of the target groups listed above)
- Technology (projects that explore or utilize technology in the delivery of legal services and/or public legal education)
The Law Foundation of PEI (LFPEI) encourages projects that demonstrate:
- Consistency with the Law Foundation’s mandate objectives, vision, mission, and/or strategic priorities;
- Whether there is a need for the project or program;
- Involvement of, and potential benefits to, residents of Prince Edward Island;
- Collaboration between organizations at a local, regional, or national level;
- Sustainability of the project or program;
- Value for money; and
- Availability of alternative and/or matching or other funding.
While each application will be carefully considered, the Law Foundation of PEI may give priority to projects within its mandate that demonstrate collaboration with other organizations and where shared costs have been negotiated. As part of your application, you should highlight any collaborative agreements/partnerships and/or any shared funding agreements that are in place.
While the project might be larger in geographic scope/impact, a direct benefit to those living on Prince Edward Island must be demonstrated.
GrantWatch ID#: 156375
- Education/Workshop Grants: Up to $5,000
- Large Grants: Up to $15,000
A grant is, unless otherwise specifically stated, solely applicable for the year and project for which it is made, and it cannot be assumed that funding will continue to be provided for subsequent year(s) and projects(s). Further funding requires reapplication.
Any organization or individual may apply to the Foundation, provided the project is law related and falls within the statutory objects and areas of encouragement as interpreted by the Board of Governors, who make all decisions on funding.
An applicant can apply for more than one project, and a separate application must be submitted for each separate project.
Projects that the Law Foundation generally considers ineligible for funding include:
- Projects benefiting individuals, unless the organization is providing scholarships or bursary assistance.
- Commercial (for profit) ventures.
- Requests for support of litigation.
- Costs largely related to lobbying, advocating or promoting a particular position on a legal or public policy issue.
Review the FAQs here: http://www.lawfoundationpei.ca/faq.php
Grant Schedule for Education/Workshop Grants and Large Grants:
- Application Deadline #1 September 11th, 2017 5:00 pm AST
- Decision By Late November
As part of the review process, LFPEI staff may contact you to discuss details of your application prior to the LFPEI Board’s decision.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submissions by email can be sent to:
Sheila Lund MacDonald, Executive Director
Paper submissions should be sent to:
PEI Law Foundation
49 Water Street Charlottetown,
PE C1A 1A3
Canada: Prince Edward Island