Hillsborough County - Economic Development Department
05/13/19 Postmarked or delivered by 3:00 PM
Grants to Hillsborough County, Florida nonprofits, businesses, and commercial property owners to promote heritage tourism, historic preservation, and related economic and business development. Projects must take place on non-residential property and fall into one or more of the following types: rehabilitation or restoration of historic structures, compatible additions to historic structures, improvements to historic sites or grounds, and architectural heritage tourism projects. The project must be located in Hillsborough County (incorporated or unincorporated).
With limited funding, grant funding recommendations largely favor those project activities that correct conditions that threaten the structural and/or economic viability of a designated or contributing historic property, such as sealing the envelope of the building (roof, window, masonry projects); and addressing adaptive reuse. Projects enhancing public access to a designated or contributing historic property, involving Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) components, may receive priority consideration.
Projects should create a heritage tourism impact in the community or region; enhance heritage tourism experience by visitors and residents; utilize other heritage tourism resources; develop site-based (location specific) heritage tourism; promote or develop educational programs or materials for tourists; protect an existing historic property or site; enhance commercial use of existing historical resources; increase community participation/accessibility to a larger number of users/visitors; and demonstrates educational or cultural value.
For a detailed list of project types, see the application: https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/library/hillsborough/media-center/documents/grants/hpcg/hpcg-grant-application.pdf?la=en&hash=2D70D1367CCE8B7B58A3FF5A44925A5D5A8AC3BD#page=2
For additional project requirements, see:
GrantWatch ID#: 156784
Grants are not to exceed an award of more than $250,000 per applicant, per project in any County budget year.
The project must be completed within a 12-month time period, unless otherwise specified.
The Grantee must enter into an agreement with the County for the use of grant funds within six (6) months of being awarded the grant by the Board of County Commissioners.
The following entities are eligible to receive Historic Preservation Challenge Grants:
- Nonprofit organizations, including those that are support organizations with the singular mission of preserving and restoring governmental properties; and
- Private corporations and businesses; and
- Commercial property owners.
Heritage Tourism Projects: Nonprofit organizations only.
An Applicant may not be a Federal, state, or local government, or other public body, agency, department, instrumentality, political subdivision, municipality or district thereof. For properties owned by a public body or entity, a nonprofit organization established to support the ongoing maintenance or other fundraising endeavors related to the preservation of the significant historic asset may be considered.
Funds cannot be used for related agency commissions, unless specified. For construction projects, contractor/engineering/architect fees and out-of-pocket/travel expenses are not eligible for reimbursement unless specified in the Agreement.
The HPCG Program will not fund the following:
- Proposals that do not fit the project categories or meet general eligibility requirements
- Deficiencies in previous completed projects
- Loans, fines, penalties, cost of litigation or associated interest payments
- Scholarships, internships, grant administration fees or purchase of awards
- Programs/sites not open to the public or not accessible to the physically challenged
- Projects at schools, colleges, or universities that serve solely students and faculty, with no community involvement/access.
- Fundraising activities/events or political contributions
- Church/religious properties (HPCG awards may be requested, but awards are limited to exterior work to seal or stabilize the historic structure)
- Costs of administration, property acquisition or operating expenses
- Private homes/residences
Expenses Not Eligible for Reimbursement:
- Late fees incurred by the Grantee or subcontractors for delinquent payment of invoices
- Interest accrued and charged for late payments of invoices
- Work done prior to Agreement start date and after approved project completion date also identified in the Agreement
- Legal filing fees
- Grant administration or writing fees
- Media commissions
- Soft costs
- Travel expenses
The application period is from March 4 - Monday, May 13, 2019. Your signed, completed application submission must be postmarked or delivered by 3 PM.
There is one (1) application cycle per year and only one (1) grant is to be awarded per organization in any grant round. One additional cycle may be added per fiscal year, based on funding and need levels, as determined by the County Administrator, or designee.
This grant is a reimbursement program only. Available grant funds are awarded to qualified Applicants on a minimum of one-to-one (1:1) matching grant basis. The County will reimburse 50 percent of the cost of the project. The applicant’s match may not be provided solely through alternative matching funds or other sources. Reimbursements are made on cash outlays only.
FY 19 applicant presentations are scheduled for Tuesday, June 25, 2019 from 1 to 5 PM.
Presentations will take place at:
601 E. Kennedy Blvd.
26th Floor, Conference Rooms A&B
Tampa, FL 33602
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications via mail to:
Attn: Rebecca Hessinger
Economic Development Department
P.O. Box 1110
Tampa, FL 33601
Or submit in person:
601 E. Kennedy Blvd., 20th Floor
Tampa, FL 33601
Historic Preservation Challenge Grant Map: http://hillsborough.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=c914cf162f3b495fb6601c62cb4244d0
Historic District Maps: https://www.tampagov.net/historic-preservation/info/district-maps
USA: Florida: Hillsborough County