City of Thunder Bay - Recreation and Culture Division
Grants to Thunder Bay, Ontario nonprofit organizations to host events that will contribute to the local economy, develop sports, enhance volunteerism, and showcase community pride. Applications are invited from local organizers seeking assistance for bidding and startup costs associated with hosting sport events, inaugural festivals, and championships.
1. Expenses related to event bid preparation and presentation. I.e. Travel (airfare, mileage @ .30¢/ km, ground transportation), printing of bid documents, or bid fees.
2. Bond or holding fees required to secure an event once a bid has been won.
3. Start-up costs for organizing committees to begin the process of planning; including sponsorship campaigns, volunteer recruitment & training or marketing.
4. Expenditures that will leave a legacy and benefit future local events. For example, equipment that could be used at other future events.
5. Costs associated with the contract of professional services or the lease of office equipment. For example, the hiring of a graphic design firm.
6. Associated expenses related to staging the event. For example, facility rental and/or advertising.
GrantWatch ID#: 159233
Events may take place after March 17, 2018 (March 16 deadline) or after October 6, 2018 (October 5 deadline).
1. Not-for-profit organizations who are bidding to host or have won the right to host a regional, provincial, national or international event.
2. Not-for-profit organizations staging a new or inaugural event, tournament or festival. Conferences, conventions, workshops, concerts/shows and fundraising events are not typically eligible.
NOTE: An application may be declined if an organization possesses an operating surplus in excess of three months of operating expenses. In these cases, organizations will be given the opportunity to justify.
1. Fixed capital expenditures
2. Banquet meals and/or alcohol
3. Athlete awards (ie. cash, medals, trophies)
4. Costs incurred prior to the grant application being made
5. Product(s) to be re-sold
6. Travel and/or accommodation expenses for participants.
7. Expenses related to charitable components of an event (i.e. printing of raffle tickets, lottery licenses)
8. Funding to offset an organization’s de cit.
NOTE: The Event Development Grant will not cover more than 20% of event operating costs.
Applications for event funding must be received prior to your event as follows:
-March 16, 2018 - for events taking place after March 17, 2018
-October 5, 2018 - for events taking place after October 6, 2018
Applications for assistance with bidding costs can be made anytime of year as long as the application is received prior to the bid submission deadline.
Please allow 3-4 weeks following the deadline for the review.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Paul Burke, Special Events Developer
Recreation & Culture Division
Pool 6 Building
53 Water St. S.
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 2S5
City of Thunder Bay