Foundation / Corporation
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) - Growing Forward 2 and Ministry of Agriculture
Grants to Saskatchewan rural municipalities to support efforts to eradicate the rat population within their jurisdiction. The goal of this program is to promote consistency and uniformity in rat control methods throughout the province. This program offers both financial and human resources.
The PREP Program is funded through a grant to SARM from the Growing Forward 2 program and the Ministry of Agriculture. PREP is managed by a board of elected RM representatives and is designed to assist Rural Municipalities (RMs) in their rat control efforts, providing the following support:
1. Financial Resources. SARM administers the grant program which provides funding to assist RMs in paying for their rat control efforts.
2. Human Resources. SARM has retained the services of six (6) Pest Control Officer (PCO) Supervisors. There is one located in each of SARM’s six divisions.
Eligible costs for RMs or Regional Pest Control Committees, as specified in the Agriculture Fieldworker Policy (Saskatchewan), include:
-For Pest Control Officers - Training, wages or contract fees and travel reimbursement.
-Additional costs may be included by SARM, subject to the approval of the Ministry.
-Rat control bait provided by the RM to the rate payer.
RMs and Regional Pest Control Committees are strongly encouraged to provide bait for rat control to ratepayers at no charge. If the RM charges for the bait, then the bait, or its charged portion is no longer an eligible expense.
NOTE: If administration for pest control services is contracted out by the RM, the portion of administration costs relating to rat control only are considered to be an eligible expense.
GrantWatch ID#: 159312
The maximum amount of grant payable to an RM will be 50% of actual expenses reported for the year to a maximum potential grant amount based on $13.50 per farm site plus $70 per township. Farm sites are based on Statistics Canada 1976 Census unless the use of a more recent Census is requested and justified by the RM.
For an RM to be eligible for the grant the following minimum level of service must be provided by an RM:
-An RM must have a Pest Control Officer (PCO) with a valid Pesticide Applicator’s License.
-Each site within an RM where agriculture produce is (or was) stored or where livestock or poultry are housed (or have been housed) must be inspected by the licensed PCO at least once a year. This includes both occupied and abandoned sites.
-The RM must provide reports as required by SARM and the Ministry of Agriculture.
No other government grant, rebate, assistance program or payment can be received by the RM with relation to the expenditures subject to this program.
The maximum amount of grant payable to an RM will be 50% of actual expenses reported for the year.
Steps that must be taken by an RM to access the grant:
1. The RM employs the services of a licensed PCO and has them inspect each site within an RM where agriculture produce is (or was) stored or where livestock or poultry are (or once were) housed at least once per year.
2. The RM needs to provide written notification to Saskatchewan Agriculture as to the name and address of their PCO.
3. Have the PCO submit his/her reports to the RM Office (or to the Regional Pest Control Committees if the RM is utilizing one for rat control coordination).
5. The RMs (or Regional Pest Control Committees) must complete a Statement of Compliance Form and submit it to SARM by December 31, 2017. The Statement of Compliance must be signed by the RM Administrator.
No funds shall be disbursed by SARM until the funding for this fiscal year has been received from the Provincial Government.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Annette Ellert, PREP Manager
Please address written notification as to the name and address of the PCO as follows:
Executive Director of the Crops and Irrigation Branch
Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture
Room 125, 3085 Albert St.,
Regina, S4S 0B1
PCO Forms are available for order from SARM Trading Services by phoning 306-761-3722 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require assistance, please contact the PCO Supervisor located in your SARM Division: