Foundation / Corporation
Rise and Shine Illinois
Grants of up to $5,000 to Illinois schools serving low-income students to support the implementation of a healthy breakfast program during school morning hours. Funding is intended for the purchase of approved initiatives, equipment, and materials that would facilitate the breakfast after the bell delivery models.
Eligible Uses of Grant Funds:
- The purchase of equipment, such as insulated bags and grab-and-go carts;
- The purchase of supplies, such as trash cans and bags or other items associated with operating the breakfast program;
- The purchase of technology, such as a point of service machines; and
- The purchase of materials needed for breakfast promotion, such as banners and ads.
Please note: As a general rule, funding for the cost of food is not provided.
Approved breakfast after the bell models include:
- Breakfast in the Classroom: Breakfast is served in the classroom and eaten in the classroom. The process usually takes 10-15 minutes.
- Grab and Go: Breakfast is served from one or more central locations and consumed in the classroom or a common area.
- Second Chance Breakfast: Breakfast is served between 1st and 2nd periods, usually via Grab and Go to the classroom or common area, or by reopening the cafeteria and allowing students time to eat before they return to class.
GrantWatch ID#: 159328
Individual schools may apply for up to $5,000.
Funding is for the 2018-2019 School Year.
Due to the Breakfast After the Bell law, schools that have 70% or more of the student population eligible for free or reduced-price meals are to serve breakfast as part of the school day.
Applying schools must either be implementing or be prepared to implement a breakfast after the bell delivery model.
All applications must have authorized approval by the School Principal and Food Service Nutrition Director.
Subject to funding availability, Rise and Shine Illinois will have three grant rounds with the following due dates:
- September 28, 2018
- November 16, 2018
- March 4, 2019
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To access the application: https://nokidhungrygrants.force.com/FGM_Portal__CommunitySignupRejected?id=a0l41000004pRvHAAU&ln=en_US.
Connect with a Rise & Shine IL School Breakfast Coordinator that can help start a Breakfast After the Bell program and/or troubleshoot strategies for a sustainable Breakfast After the Bell program through the Foundation's contact form (https://riseandshineillinois.org/contact/). Coordinators also provide technical assistance on grant applications to purchase equipment, materials, or supplies to support your Breakfast After the Bell program.
You can also contact the Foundation directly by email at email@example.com or by phone at 773-843-2604.
For program-related questions: Sonianne Lozada- firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical or portal-related questions: email@example.com