Foundation / Corporation
Rise & Shine Illinois
Grants of up to $5,000 to Illinois schools serving low-income students to support the implementation of a healthy breakfast program during school morning hours. Funding is intended for the purchase of approved initiatives, equipment, and materials that would facilitate the breakfast after the bell delivery models.
Eligible Uses of Grant Funds:
- The purchase of equipment, such as insulated bags and grab-and-go carts;
- The purchase of supplies, such as trash cans and bags or other items associated with operating the breakfast program;
- The purchase of technology, such as a point of service machines; and
- The purchase of materials needed for breakfast promotion, such as banners and ads.
Approved breakfast after the bell models include:
- Breakfast in the Classroom: Breakfast is offered/served in the classroom and eaten in the classroom.
- Grab and Go to the Classroom, served at the start of the school day: Breakfast is offered/served from one or more central locations at the start of the day only. Students have the option to eat it in their classroom after the bell has rung.
- Second Chance Breakfast, served grab-and-go style to the classroom: Breakfast is offered/served from one or more central locations. Students have the option to pick it up between 1st and 2nd period to eat it in their classroom after the bell has rung.
- Second Chance Breakfast, eaten in the cafeteria: Breakfast is offered/served and eaten in the cafeteria between 1st
and 2nd period and students have at least 15 minutes to eat.
- Grab and Go to Common Area (must receive No Kid Hungry preapproval): Breakfast is offered/served from one or more central locations, and students must finish their breakfast in a common area before going to their classroom.
GrantWatch ID#: 159328
The maximum request amount is $5,000.
Funding is for the 2017-2018 School Year.
Applying schools must either be implementing or be prepared to implement a breakfast after the bell delivery model.
Breakfast After the Bell is to be implemented in schools with 70% or more of the student population eligible for free or reduced-price meals in the Fall 2017-2018 school year.
Successful models include collaboration of everyone in the school district, including the School Principal, Teachers, the Food Service Nutrition Director, and the Superintendent. All applications must have authorized approval by the School Principal and Food Service Nutrition Director.
Please note: As a general rule, funding for the cost of food is not provided.
The online application will remain open from July 10, 2017 - March 30, 2018 for grantees to complete an application.
Applications submitted between August 21 and November 1 will be reviewed and awarded by November 24, 2017.
To access more information or help documents, click the links in the application guidelines in Supporting Documents below.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Answer a preliminary eligibility question and continue to the online application here (new users must register):
If you would like to learn more, or seek assistance in expanding School Breakfast, Summer Meals or After-School Meals in your community, please fill out the form below or contact us directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 773-247-3663 and ask for a Rise & Shine team member.
Contact form: http://riseandshineillinois.org/contact/
If you have any questions about the application or breakfast after the bell implementation, please contact Sonianne Lozada at email@example.com or technical support, please send an email with a description of the issue you are facing to firstname.lastname@example.org.