Foundation / Corporation
ALS Association Northern Ohio Chapter
10/20/17 Postmarked or time-stamped by midnight
Grants of up to $500 to Ohio individuals and families affected by ALS or PLS to offset the expenses related to these diseases. Funding is intended to reimburse expenses such as medical fees, equipment, and supplies, home modifications, transportation, communication devices, and expanded respite. For a detailed list of eligible and in ineligible expenses, refer to the Program Guidelines in Supporting Documents below.
GrantWatch ID#: 159469
Up to 50 grants per quarter
Up to $500
The acceptable range for receipts is July 21, 2017 – January 20, 2018.
1. Must have a diagnosis of ALS or PLS and reside in The ALS Association Northern Ohio Chapter service area; must provide verification of diagnosis of ALS or PLS diagnosis one time only (for first-time applicants) by submitting a “Verification of Diagnosis” Form which must be completed by a neurologist who specializes in ALS or PLS.
2. Must use the grant to offset the financial burden of living with ALS or PLS to provide for needs such as equipment, care and/or services. Please refer to Grant Program Guidelines on page 4 for covered benefits. Some benefits may require a physician prescription.
Eligibility Exceptions: Grant requests made by recipients of Ohio Medicaid Home Care Waiver or Passport will be taken for consideration based on the following:
a. Specific need that is not provided by the Waiver or Passport program; and
b. Applicant consents to allow his/her Northern Ohio Chapter Care Services Coordinator to contact the Waiver or Passport case manager;
c. Case-by-case basis, placed as second priority to applicants who are non-Waiver or non-Passport recipients.
Eligibility Exclusions: Veterans with ALS who are service-connected and eligible for VA benefits.
- January 20, with notification by the last week of January. Reimbursement will be for expenses with receipts between October 21 and April 20.
- April 20, with notification by the last week of April. Reimbursement will be for expenses with receipts between January 21 and July 20.
- July 20, with notification by the last week of July. Reimbursement will be for expenses with receipts between April 21 and October 20.
- October 20, with notification by the last week of October. Reimbursement will be for expenses with receipts between July 21 and January 20.
You may re-apply for the next grant cycle. Keep in mind that you have a 6-month window to submit qualifying receipts for each grant cycle (3 months before grant approval date and 3 months after grant approval date). Extensions will not be considered.
Grants will be paid as an expense reimbursement. The patient must first incur the expense then be reimbursed via the grant program.
If grant applications exceed budget funding for any given cycle, new applicants will take precedence over those who have already been approved for a grant, or have received respite reimbursement through the Founder’s Respite Program during the past 12 months.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If unable to email, mail applications to:
The ALS AssociationNorthern Ohio Chapter
6155 Rockside Road, Suite 403
Independence, OH 44131
Or, fax applications to: 216-592-2575
For questions or more information, please contact your regional care coordinator:
- Northeast Ohio (Cleveland/Akron/Canton): Lisa Bruening, 216-592-2572, or Lisa@alsaohio.org
- Eastern Ohio (Greater Youngstown): Kathleen Meaney, 330-249-1182 or Kathleen@alsaohio.org
- Northwest Ohio (Greater Toledo Area): Alice Sting Zoll, 567-938-0056 or email@example.com