Town of Hinton
10/01/18 10:00 AM
Grants ranging between $1,000 and $10,000 to Hinton, Alberta nonprofits, First Nations and Metis groups, and institutions of higher education for programs that will enhance the local community. Funding may be used towards public events that attract visitors, significantly contribute to the local economy, and promote volunteerism; one-time projects and initiatives; or operating expenses of organizations in their development stage once per fiscal year for up to three years.
Applications will be ranked on the following criteria:
- Needs assessment, analysis and planned evaluation with measurable targets and outcomes
- Cost-benefit value
- Degree of financial need of applicant / how much self-help
- Demonstration of thorough project plan
- Number of people impacted and how (includes special considerations)
- Financial stability/demonstrate how matching funds/resources /revenue will be raised
Credible previous management of project/activity/organization
GrantWatch ID#: 159573
Funding request is at or between $1,000 - $10,000
Projects must be completed within 12 months of the funding approval date.
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
1) Community nonprofit organizations who are registered (and in good standing) under one of the following Acts:
- Agriculture Societies Act
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act – Extra-Provincial Corporations
- Cemeteries Act or Cemetery Companies Act
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Non-profit Companies)
- Libraries Act
- Societies of Alberta Act
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Special Act of the Parliament of Canada
- Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act
- Income Tax Act of Canada and operating in the province of Alberta (Charities)
2) First Nations and Metis Settlements
3) Foundations established and regulated under the province’s Regional Health Authorities Act
4) Universities, colleges, and institutes as defined under Alberta’s Post-secondary Learning Act
The following organizations are not eligible to apply for funding under CGP:
- For-profit organizations
- Any other organizations not registered* under one of the above mentioned Acts
- Organizations that have overdue or incomplete accounting or reporting relating to any grant previously awarded by the Town of Hinton for the Community Grant Program.
*PLEASE NOTE: If your group is non-registered, you can still apply through an eligible group. The sponsoring organization must provide their explicit board approval to apply for grant funding, assist with submitting the application, oversee the project/activity, and ensure accounting requirements are met. The sponsoring group will provide mentoring of the entire process which will help new groups build their capacity for future applications.
An organization may submit more than one application per intake, provided the projects/activities are not directly related financially or otherwise. Each project or request must meet funding eligibility.
Ineligible Funding Requests: Includes items such as: debt retirement, deficit reduction and / or retroactive grant funding, operating (core) costs that are not linked to measurable targets and outcomes, for-profit commercial ventures or private organizations, endowments, projects/activities whose beneficiaries are solely/primarily outside Hinton (the project/activity may occur outside Hinton boundaries, however, the majority of the project/activity benefit must be to Hinton residents).
There are two intakes for the Community Grant Program per year. Deadlines are April 1 and October 1. In the event this date falls on the weekend, submissions will be accepted until 10:00 a.m. on the following Monday.
The next Submission Deadline is October 1, 2018.
Funding is approved on a matched-grant basis. The applicant must contribute an amount equal to or exceeding the Community Grant funding request towards the expenses of the project. The matching funding may be in the form of any combination of money, receipts for donated equipment, services or materials and volunteer time.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Applications must be hand delivered to:
Town of Hinton
Attention: Community Grant Program
2nd Floor, 131 Civic Centre Road
Hinton, AB T7V 2E5
Please note that the Town of Hinton office is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Lisa Brett, Volunteer Centre Coordinator
Joan Melvin, Community Development Coordinator
Town of Hinton