Foundation / Corporation
Josiah W. and Bessie H. Kline Foundation
10/09/18 5:00 PM Receipt
Grants to South Central Pennsylvania nonprofit organizations and IHEs for activities, programs or services in the local community. Funding is available for scientific, educational, charitable, literary, and cultural purposes. Priority is given to programs in Dauphin and Cumberland Counties.
Grants are made to institutions which are located in or have branches in South Central Pennsylvania and which serve that area.
GrantWatch ID#: 159693
Special Rules for Colleges and Universities – the maximum grant awarded that Colleges and Universities can receive from the Foundation is $150,000 which is normally payable over a 5 year period at $30,000 per year.
Grants to Colleges and Universities are normally payable over a 5 year period.
- Kline Foundation accepts grant applications from nonprofit organizations that are exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Grants are made to nonprofit organizations that are located in or provide their primary service in South Central Pennsylvania, with an emphasis in Dauphin and Cumberland Counties.
- The Organization cannot be a private Foundation under Section 509(a).
- No grants are made to individuals and no grants are made to organizations for purposes of propaganda, lobbying, attempting to influence legislation, or for participating in any way in a political campaign.
- The Kline Foundation does not make loans and does not make grants to startup organizations or to cover payroll, to national organizations or religious programs.
- Normally grants are not made to State-affiliated schools, colleges, or universities.
Eligible organizations may only receive grant funding once per year; however, if your organization is denied for any given funding period, you are permitted to submit another grant application for the subsequent funding period.
Requests for grants may be submitted at any time. The Kline Foundation Board of Directors act upon all qualified requests at meetings, which are generally held every May and November. After grant requests are considered, notification to the party submitting the request will be given. Generally, funding is awarded in June and December of each year.
The Kline Foundation Secretary is available to meet with your organization to discuss possible funding opportunities available, prior to submission of a request. These meetings must be scheduled in advance, to allow for proper discussion of your organization’s needs, and are considered on a case-by-case basis.
To be considered for funds awarded in June 2018, your application must be received on or before Monday, April 2, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
To be considered for funds awarded in December 2018, your application must be received on or before Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
The above deadline dates are tentative. They are subject to change at the discretion of the Board of Directors. It is advised to call the Kline Foundation at the number listed below prior to the above deadline dates to confirm.
Special Rules for Colleges and Universities – After the 5 year grant period expires, the College or University cannot apply for another grant for a period of 2 years. After the 2 year waiting period is over, a new request may be submitted.
Applications can be mailed, hand-delivered, or emailed to the Foundation.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Grant requests should be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Josiah W. and Bessie H. Kline Foundation, Inc.
c/o John A. Obrock, CPA
515 South 29th Street
Harrisburg, PA 17104
Grant requests may also be emailed to:
USA: Pennsylvania: South Central Pennsylvania, with an emphasis on Dauphin and Cumberland Counties