Grants to Ontario public libraries and library organizations for research projects or innovative projects that will improve the Province's public libraries. Applicants applying for research projects are encouraged to collaborate with other organizations. Funding priorities are as follows:
Evaluation of the impact that libraries have on Ontario residents; enhancing role libraries play in creating community and quality of life opportunities; develop new ways to meet Ontarians' needs; and enhancing capacity of library management and leadership.
Specifically, the Research and Innovation stream of the Ontario Libraries Capacity Fund supports new, replicable research and innovative projects that will have the potential for a positive impact on Ontario’s public libraries.
The program’s priorities are to:
1. Measure and evaluate the impact of public libraries on their communities and the well being of Ontarians.
2. Strengthen and enhance the role of public libraries as community hubs that are focused on creating cultural, educational, social and economic opportunities.
3. Encourage the development of new ways to engage with and meet the changing needs of all Ontarians.
4. Develop new strategies and processes for identifying and preparing leadership candidates for success in senior management roles within the Ontario public library sector.
Applicants must show that their proposed project meets the following criteria:
- Is a research or innovation project
- Directly supports at least one of the OLCF R&I priorities
- Will have a positive impact on the public library sector, as a whole, or a significant segment of that sector (such as First Nations or northern public libraries)
- Is replicable, scalable and/or applicable to communities outside your own
- Will not replicate projects previously done in the public library sector
- Will be measurable and widely adoptable or adaptable
- Will be undertaken in Ontario (can be part of a national project, or project taking place in more than one province)
Estimated Total Program Funding:
Estimated Size of Grant:
Projects are eligible for one or two years of funding beginning no sooner than the date of funding approval and ending on or before March 31, 2017 for one-year projects, and March 31, 2018 for two-year projects.
For assistance with Grants Ontario registration or application submission, please contact Grants Ontario customer service:
Monday to Friday from 8:30AM to 5:00 PM EST
Toll Free: 1- 855-216-3090 or in the GTA: (416) 325-6691
Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
Programs and Services Branch
Culture Programs Unit