Foundation / Corporation
The Philadelphia Foundation - Nessa Forman, David Forman, Eleanor and Solomon Forman Family Fund
Grants of up to $40,000 to Southeastern Pennsylvania nonprofit organizations for arts education and training programs benefiting young people throughout the region. Applicants must submit a Letter of Interest prior to submitting a full proposal. Funding is intended to support both in- and out-of-school programs in photography, architectural drawing and architecture, and the written arts.
The Nessa Forman, David Forman, Eleanor and Solomon Forman Family Fund is a Designated Fund of The Philadelphia Foundation that supports Southeastern Pennsylvania nonprofits. The Forman Family Fund will provide support for programs during or out-of-school time that provide training, education and exposure to photography, architectural drawing, and architecture; or, exposure to the written arts. Programs will support young people ages 11-18, in the five-county region.
- Be open to all young people ages 11 to 18;
- Be curriculum-based;
- Be offered for a minimum of one semester, with preference being given for year-long programs;
- Have been operating for at least two years with a proven track record;
- Be focused on written arts or in the specific visual arts of photography, architecture, or architectural drawing.
- Participants’ transportation
- Field trips
- Program staff time
- Materials and supplies
- Other direct program expenses
- Indirect expenses up to 15% of total grant amount
GrantWatch ID#: 159702
Up to 10 grants will be awarded annually.
The maximum grant amount will be $40,000.
Requirements for Grant Applicants:
- Located in and/or serving constituents in the five-County Southeastern Pennsylvania region.
- 501c3 status (or collaborating with experienced fiscal sponsor with 501c3 status).
- Not a private foundation.
- If the organization is a religious institution, it may apply only for non-sectarian activities.
- Must have adopted nondiscrimination policy including race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other legally protected characteristics.
All Letters of Interest must be submitted electronically through the online LOI form. The Letter of Interest is due Fri., Oct. 12, 2018, at 11:59 PM EDT (Midnight).
Letters of Interest will be screened for eligibility, alignment with the fund’s priorities and quality of programming. Successful LOI candidates will be invited by email on Nov. 2, 2018 to submit a full proposal that will be due by Nov. 30, 2018. Final grant decisions will be made by Dec. 14, 2018.
For questions about grants, call or email the Foundation.
Grant awards may not be more than 10% of the applicant’s operating budget and must be used for expenses not yet incurred.
Any school or organization receiving a grant may be eligible to receive support for consecutive years, especially where more than one year of support will allow young people to further advance in either the visual or written arts, as defined by grant guidelines. Such additional support is conditional on both a report for the prior grant being received, and a new application submitted. Organizations that apply for a second year of funding should submit a progress report with this Letter of Interest. Until such report is submitted no school, organization or program is eligible for additional Forman Family Fund Grants.
For Letter of Interest information and preview:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For the Letter of Interest portal:
For questions, email:
Phil Fitzgerald, Director of Grantmaking
The Philadelphia Foundation
Nessa Forman, David Forman, Eleanor and Solomon Forman Family Fund
1835 Market Street, Suite 2410
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2968
USA: Pennsylvania: Southeastern Pennsylvania