Foundation / Corporation
The Philadelphia Foundation
Grants of up to $30,000 to Southeast Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey nonprofit organizations to help strengthen and improve their business and operational practices. For the purposes of these grants, eligible Counties include Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington and Camden Counties in Southern New Jersey. For 2017 grantmaking, applicants must have received an Organizational Effectiveness grant from The Philadelphia Foundation any time during 2016.
Examples of eligible types of projects include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Planning
- Board Development
- Leadership Development
- Program Evaluation/Development
- Strategic Relationships
- Business and Finance
- Management and Operations
Priority will be given to:
- Those able to demonstrate that at least 50% of those they serve or represent are low-income; and
- Those with operating budgets under $5 million.
GrantWatch ID#: 159703
Projects are funded at cost up to $30,000, but not more than 10% of the organization’s budget.
Grants are for nonprofits serving the five-County Southeastern Pennsylvania region; and Burlington and Camden Counties in New Jersey.
- For 2017 grantmaking, applicants must have received an Organizational Effectiveness grant from The Philadelphia Foundation any time during 2016.
- Operating budget less than $10 million
- 501c3 status
- Provide three years of audits or 990s
- One Full Time Equivalent (FTE) Staff Person
- In compliance with TPF non-discrimination policy: https://www.philafound.org/Nonprofits/ApplyforaGrant/Wizard/NondiscriminationPolicy.aspx
- Must complete child abuse clearance and criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers who work with youth.
- Organizations may apply for only one of the following grant types per year: Fund for Children, Organizational Effectiveness, and General Operating Support.
- Organizations currently receiving Organizational Effectiveness, General Operating Support, Supporting Grants or Strategic Investment in Youth Grants may apply for YOUTHadelphia grants.
- Written, board-approved policies regarding whistle-blowing, conflict of interest, and document retention and destruction.
- Interim or permanent executive leadership in place for at least three months.
- Limited familial relationships among board and staff members.
An organization is ineligible to receive funding through The Philadelphia Foundation’s discretionary grant program if it is one of the following:
- School (K-12)
- College or university.
- A center or a program housed in a university that raises less than 75% of its funding
- A local chapter of a national organization or program that raises less than 75% of its own funding
- Government agency
- General childcare agency
- Organization that re-grant the funding they receive (umbrella funding organization)
Organizational Effectiveness grants do not support:
- Program-specific requests
- Full funding of staff positions
- Umbrella funding projects for the sole purpose of re-granting
- Contributions to endowments or capital campaigns
- Fundraising Campaigns
- Deficit or debt financing
Deadline: Apply no sooner than May 5, 2017 and no later than June 30, 2017.
Ineligible Applicant information: https://www.philafound.org/Nonprofits/ApplyforaGrant/Wizard/IneligibleOrganizations.aspx
Steps to Apply:
Step 1. Determine Eligibility
Completing the five-minute quiz is an essential first step. Click here to begin the quiz: https://www.philafound.org/Nonprofits/ApplyforaGrant/Wizard.aspx
Step 2. Apply
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to access the application.
Step 3. Follow Up
Not required until the project proposal has been approved. A Program Officer will contact you.
Click on the links in the Supporting Documents section below to access the:
- Workplan Guidelines (A resource to assist you with workplan materials below)
- Workplan Budget
- Workplan Template
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Please upload the Project Proposal (attached below) and supplemental documents to the Organizational Effectiveness Drop Box: https://spaces.hightail.com/uplink/OEApplications
For questions about grants, call (215)563-6417 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
USA: New Jersey: Burlington and Camden Counties; Pennsylvania: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties