Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
09/20/17 20:00 EDT
Fellowships providing $70,000 annually to USA, Canada, and International scholars to carry out postdoctoral research at IHEs and other nonprofit research institutions. This application is open to Canadian scholars for fellowships at Canadian or international institutions, and to international scholars seeking fellowships at Canadian institutions.
This program seeks fellows and institutions from Canada and internationally who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- Attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally;
- Develop their leadership potential;
- Position them for success as research.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
- The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between the following:
1) Applicant – individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career
2) Host institution – commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution's strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
GrantWatch ID#: 159822
70 fellowships are awarded annually.
$70,000 per year (taxable)
Fellowships have a two-year duration and are non-renewable. Payments may begin April through October 2018.
Citizenship and location of host institution:
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply with the following stipulations:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution; and
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage:
The Banting PDF program previously had a limit of 25% on the number of awards granted to postdoctoral trainees for tenure abroad. This limit has been removed, effective as of the 2017-2018 competition.
Eligibility window for degree completion:
Applicants to the 2017-18 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- Between September 20, 2014 and September 30, 2018 (inclusively); and
- Before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2018.
Allowable extensions to eligibility window:
The window of eligibility can be extended by a cumulative maximum of two years if the applicant had their career interrupted for the following reasons:
- Parental leave
- Health-related family responsibilities
- Mandatory military service
- Additionally, for health professionals who have engaged in post-degree non-research related clinical training (e.g. residency) - the eligibility window can be extended by the duration of this training.
No other exceptions will be allowed.
Interruptions used to extend the eligibility window for degree completion must have occurred after the fulfilment of your degree requirements and before the application submission deadline.
Justification must be provided in Special circumstances.
"Fulfilled all requirements of the degree" refers to the date that the applicant completed all the steps required for obtaining their degree. Although these requirements may vary by institution and degree type, they normally include thesis defence corrections and thesis deposition. It is not the convocation date.
Host institution eligibility:
Institutions eligible to host a Banting Fellow include Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity.
Canadian governments (federal, provincial and municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions.
Please contact the Vanier-Banting Secretariat with any questions regarding institutional eligibility well in advance of the submission deadline.
Other eligibility restrictions:
- Applicants who currently hold or have held agency-specific (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) awards at the postdoctoral level are eligible to apply to the 2017-18 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program only if the term of that funding officially ends on or before September 30, 2018 and prior to the start of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Early termination of the agency-specific postdoctoral award for the purpose of application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is not permitted.
- Applicants can apply for both the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program and other agency-specific postdoctoral fellowships programs (whether to the same or a different federal granting agency) at the same time, provided that the research proposed in each application falls within the mandate of the federal granting agency to which the application is submitted. For more information, please refer to Identify area of research.
*Applicants who are successful in both competitions will have to choose which award to accept.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position.
- Only in exceptionally rare circumstances will a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship be awarded to an applicant who is staying at the same institution or within the same research environment where they completed their PhD, PhD– equivalent or health professional degree. If an applicant chooses to apply in collaboration with the same institution (or its affiliated hospitals, research centres and other laboratories or within the same research environment) at which they obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, a solid justification must be provided in Special circumstances.
- Applicants can submit only one application per competition year to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
Without exception, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- Are tenable only at the institution which supported the original application for the program
- Must be taken up no earlier than April 1st and no later than October 1st following the year of application
- Are for two years
- Can only be held once in a lifetime
- April - September: Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines).
- September 20, 2017 (20:00 EDT): Deadline for complete application submission
- October to December 2017: Evaluation of applications
- Mid February, 2018: Anticipated announcement of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.
- April to October 2018: Payments begin
Additional Information for Host Institutions:
Information for Referees:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Canadian Institutes of Health Research
160 Elgin Street, 9th Floor
Address Locator 4809A
Ottawa ON K1A 0W9
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.