Foundation / Corporation
SBM Charitable Foundation
Grants to Connecticut nonprofit organizations primarily serving Hartford, Tolland, and Windham Counties for programs in the areas of education, health, arts, housing and human services. The Foundation contributes to a wide range of organizations that foster economic development as well as social well-being.
Requests are considered for program grants, community sponsorships and special events, and capital projects.
1) Education - The Foundation is committed to helping people achieve their goals through education. Scholarships are a high priority awarded through grants to both universities and colleges located in Connecticut, as well as to direct service programs that enhance academic and personal achievement such as adult literacy and reading readiness programs.
2) Health Programs - Priority is given to programs that provide direct services to the community, including hospitals, community health programs, prevention programs and intervention services.
3) Human Services - The Foundation funds broad-based projects that enhance and improve the quality of personal life for the residents of its communities -- such as libraries, municipal programs, social services for families and children, and economic development initiatives.
4) Housing - Particular consideration is given to projects or organizations that expand home ownership opportunities and provide access to affordable housing within communities served by the Foundation.
5) Arts - The Foundation supports a wide range of cultural events including theater, music, and art programs. The aim is to broaden access to cultural activities and enrich the lives of people who live and work within the communities served by the Foundation.
GrantWatch ID#: 159882
Organizations must be tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or be a municipality.
Not Eligible for Funding:
Public and Private schools both primary and secondary, excepting scholarships; political activities; individuals (except recipients of college scholarships); religious institutions, unless the program benefits the community at large; generally, organizations with IRS Private Foundation designation.
Quarterly deadlines are listed here:
Grant requests from first-time applicants must be initiated by submitting a brief 250-word Pre-Application. You can access the pre-application here: http://www.sbmfoundation.org/sbmfoundationonlinegrant.cfm
If your organization is a past SBM Charitable Foundation grant recipient, you may use the “Request for Grant” form attached below.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Doreen H. Downham, Executive Director & Corporate Secretary
Kelly R. Gunther, Foundation & Scholarship Director
SBM Charitable Foundation, Inc
935 Main Street, Level C, Suite B101
Manchester, CT 06040
USA: Connecticut: Hartford, Tolland, and Windham Counties