Foundation / Corporation
Grants of up to $5,000 to USA, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands nonprofit organizations for programs that enhance the lives of people affected by autism. Funding is intended for the areas of education and training, recreation and community activities, young adults and adults, technological equipment, sensory equipment, and summer camp scholarships.
The focus of the Autism Speaks Local Impact Grants is three-fold:
- To promote local services that enhance the lives of those affected by autism spectrum disorders
- To expand the capacity to effectively serve the ASD community
- To increase the field of national service providers
Program area details:
- Building the field and scope of educators and other professionals who support individuals with autism, by providing continuing education and training
- Providing funding for consultation and hands-on training to improve educational programs for individuals with autism
- Providing a specific service such as ABA, legal service, etc. to people with autism and the community
- Social skills training that provides peer modeling and inclusion with age-matched, typically developing peers; social learning; social relatedness; social awareness; and social communication. Both integrated and non-integrated programming are funded.
- Recreation and athletic programs
- Equine programs
- Museums, arts, dance, music programs
Young Adult/Adult Services
- Pre-vocational and vocational training
- Transition planning
- Residential services
- Recreation programs specifically for adults
- Life/Community integration skills
Sensory Equipment/Supportive Technology
- Sensory equipment (rooms, toys, etc.)
- Equine therapy equipment
Funding is also intended to support camper tuition assistance for the summer of 2018.
Significant emphasis is placed on the product or deliverable of each proposal to benefit the autism community beyond those participating in the program. Deliverables include videos, manuals, and curricula that may be shared on the Autism Speaks website for the broader community. In addition, Autism Speaks seeks to ensure proposals provide opportunities for individuals with varying levels of need. Careful consideration will also be given to applications that specifically address the needs of underserved communities, which can include rural towns, non-English speaking populations, and other vulnerable groups.
GrantWatch ID#: 160553
Up to $5,000
The grant period is seven months, beginning once the check is received.
Only nonprofit organizations in the 50 United States plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may apply. Non-profit organizations must have 501(c)3 exempt status, a federal tax ID number, in existence for at least one year, have at least three volunteer or paid staff members, and must have an established infrastructure which includes a physical location and a website.
- Endowment, debt reduction, or fundraising activities
- Administrative salaries, i.e. those not directly working in the program for which you are requesting funding
- Food, apparel or equipment that can be donated in kind
- Rent or financing of buildings
Staff salaries are supported for new or additional staff (or staff hours) who work directly with individuals with autism in the new or expanded program.
December 4, 2017: Application Process opens.
January 31, 2018: Final date for Applications.
February 12 – March 28, 2018: Review committees meet and make decisions on recommendations.
April 2, 2018: All applicants notified and announcements made on social media.
Starting April 9, 2018: Funds disbursed upon receipt of contracts.
By December 31, 2018: Final Report from recipients due to Autism Speaks.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
1 East 33rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10016
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA)