Foundation / Corporation
Greener Fields Together
12/15/18 11:59 PM PST
Grants ranging from $2,000 to $20,000 to USA farmers and aggregators to implement sustainability practices that will improve environmental impact and ensure the availability and safety of produce in the market. Funding is intended to help local farms upgrade operations, invest in food safety, and implement sustainable technology.
Grant categories are as follows:
- Certifications: Organic, Non-GMO project, Biodynamic, Fair trade, Food safety audit
- Infrastructure: Reusable plastic containers, Logistics (delivery vans, reefer trucks), Equipment (facilities, etc.)
- Capacity Building: Food Safety/GAP improvements, Education for farmers or supervisors
- Marketing: Upgrade Labels/Cartons, Marketing materials/support, Website, Social media
Winners will be determined in two different fashions:
- ALL applicants are entered to participate in the popular voting category
- Winners will be determined by the projects receiving the most overall votes
- The project that receives the most votes will win the top prize, second most votes will win the second-place prize, and so on until the fifth-top vote receiver
- Only current Greener Fields Together local farms and aggregators approved by the deadline will be eligible to participate and win in the panel review category.
- Applicants in the panel review category will be decided by a panel of industry professionals based on the merit of the project.
- This committee will make the final determination using a review scorecard that examines the following areas:
- Project Purpose – considers whether the application identifies the projects purposes clearly and the need is addressed properly
- Sustainability – considers whether the application demonstrates the projects ability to self-sustain
- Expected Measurable Outcome – considers whether the application clearly describes at least one distinct and quantifiable outcome
- Budget – considers whether the requested funds are reasonable and consistent with project goals
- Project Plan – considers whether the application clearly describes the activities to be performed to accomplish project objectives
GrantWatch ID#: 160732
Grants Determined by Popular Vote:
- 1st Place Prize: $10,000
- 2nd Place Prize: $6,000
- 3rd Place Prize: $4,000
- 4th Place Prize: $3,000
- 5th Place Prize: $2,000
The greatest possible amount an application may receive in grant funds competing in the popular vote is $10,000
Grants Determined by Panel Review:
Grant amounts will be determined based on the budget outlined in the application. Some applicants may receive partial funding depending on available funds.
The greatest possible amount an application may receive in grant funds competing in the panel review is $20,000. Panel review applicants are automatically entered for the Popular Vote and may win additional funds in the case that they win both. The greatest possible amount an applicant is eligible to receive is $30,000 in the scenario that they win both the Panel Review and Popular Vote portions of the grant.
All Greener Fields Together local farm partners are automatically eligible to compete in the peer review panel AND popular vote contest. Local farms that are not Greener Fields Together farm partners are eligible to compete in the popular vote contest if they meet the following requirements:
An applicant must be a local produce farmer or aggregator actively operating in the United States or Canada in the current year 2018.
The applicant must also:
- Have at least 50% of business made up of produce production or aggregation
- Make no more than $100 million in annual sales
- Be willing/able to work with the distributor in your marketplace (distributor map attached below)
The applicant must:
- Have the capacity to receive and manage grant funds responsibly and have the skills and experience necessary to undertake the identified project.
- Demonstrate that thoughtful consideration is being given to the technical challenges of a project.
- Articulate a compelling plan for how the project will impact his or her business or operation and/or that of the community in which they operate.
- Provide a comprehensive budget plan that demonstrates financial prudence.
The application is to be submitted online. Once it is submitted, the applicant will have the opportunity to edit their application until the deadline of December 15th, 2018 at 11:59 pm PST. After the deadline, the application can no longer be amended.
The voting and panel review will take place between January 1 and January 31, 2019.
All applicants, regardless of status, will be notified of the decision by email by February 5th, 2019.
About the program:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Greener Fields Together
40 Ragsdale Drive Suite 200
Monterey, CA 93940
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon