Foundation / Corporation
Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) and New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC)
Grants starting at $10,000 to New York City fashion manufacturers to strengthen their business and preserve the local garment production industry. Funding may cover programs to upgrade equipment, relocate facilities, hire professional consultants, and invest in new technologies.
New York City-based factories can apply for grants that can be used to:
- Upgrade to state-of-the-art machinery and equipment
- Invest in new, innovative technologies and software
- Implement professional workforce training on the latest fabrication technologies and equipment
- Hire a professional consulting service to implement business goals and evaluate current business structure
- Cover relocation costs based on the current/future lease agreements (should not exceed 25% of total grant)
- Make capital improvements to support expansion (should not exceed 20% of total grant)
The CFDA works closely with each FMI Grant Recipient to track and assist their successes throughout the year following grant approval. Each factory is required to submit updates that are reviewed and analyzed to better assist each existing grant recipient and to further develop the program for maximum success in future. With grant funding, factories have introduced new and innovative hardware into their production lines, as well as specific action plans for sustainable long-term growth.
GrantWatch ID#: 161101
Grants range from $10,000 to $300,000.
In order to apply, factories must:
- Have been in business for a minimum of two (2) consecutive years;
- Be a factory/production facility within the fashion industry;
- Be located in one of the five (5) boroughs of New York City;
- Have support/business (i.e., orders) from key designers/brands;
- Have professional staff that can devote the time and effort required to accomplish the stated aims of an applicant’s plans.
More information: https://cfda.com/resources/manufacturing-initiative
FMI Grant provides two-thirds (2/3) of the total investment amount in the form of cash and in-kind support. Each FMI Grant Recipient must match 33 cents to each dollar of the total investment amount requested.
FMI Grant Application Submission Deadline: Extended to August 31, 2017
Semi-Finalists Selected: September 2017
Finalists Selected + Facility Site Visit by the FMI Team: October 2017
Finalist Interview with FMI Selection Committee: November 7, 2017
Third-party Social Compliance and Financial Audits: November 13 - 30, 2017
Year 5 FMI Grant Recipient Announcement: January 2018
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit your completed application to FMI@CFDA.com or drop off in person at 65 Bleecker Street, 11th Floor c/o Violeta Stolpen.
Council of Fashion Designers of America
65 Bleecker St, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10012
Phone: (212) 302-1821
USA: New York City; New York